Can a 'Universal' X4R be flashed as EU/LBT?

Allan Bennett

Well if its any consolation I have found the last two LBT Receivers I have purchased from T9 needed updated to be compatible with the latest FRSKy OS.

Find it a bit annoying FRSKY still ship Rx's out with old software.

Sorry cant help with your issue but assume you will not have to wait long for more stock to arrive as Richard does seem to keep his store well stocked.

Many people are reluctant to move to v2 firmware, and shop stock may be old, so I can understand why receivers may still be going out with v1 firmware. But I've never had a problem updating to the latest v2, but it was always from an original LBT version.

Your reply is the answer I was hoping for Philip.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 31/10/2020 20:17:16:

I've never had a problem updating to the latest v2, but it was always from an original LBT version.

Technically speaking you don't ever update firmware as the original is completely erased so it makes no difference what was on it before.

Pretty much all the problems I read about, (plenty on RC Groups), are from people who flash the wrong firmware rather than can't get the firmware.to flash.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 31/10/2020 18:25:42:

Short answer is "yes" it can, and by the way the O/S has nothing to do with the firmware compatibility.

Afraid you are wrong Philip. If running the latest FRSKY OS 1.3.07 on a Horus X10S then your LBT Rx software needs to match as a major change back in March 2020 occurred in an attempt by FRSKy to improve lost frames. Old Rx's will no longer bind and have to be updated.

Interesting regarding your comments that other Rx's can be made compatible by uploading the correct SW. Some of the new access receivers under the new Archer range seem to have some good features which I would like to have.

I'm definitely correct, the firmware that runs the RF signal for both the internal (IXJT) and external (XJT) is not part of the O/S on the TX, If you had an XJT module in the back then a new version of FrOS would not update the firmware on it.

Open TX users in addition must flash both IXJT and XJT separately, done within Open TX, with FrOS the update to FrOS also includes an update to flash the IXJT firmware so it simultaneously flashes the IXJT, that is why FrSky label it 1.3.07 with iXJT v2.1.0 update.

It might seem like splitting hairs but I've answered so many Open TX users questions of why doesn't it work when they have updated the OS software and the reason is they have updated Open TX but they haven't updated the IXJT firmware, to be clear, no matter what you update on Open TX it will do nothing to the IXJT or XJT firmware, with FrOS the IXJT firmware update is bundled in with the OS Upgrade and flashes at the same time as the update.

You can only use the Archer receivers with Access TX's there is no ACCST Firmware so no D16 compatibility, other receivers like the RX6R can use either Access or ACCST depending on what firmware you load on to them.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 01/11/2020 18:28:19:

..... You can only use the Archer receivers with Access TX's there is no ACCST Firmware so no D16 compatibility, other receivers like the RX6R can use either Access or ACCST depending on what firmware you load on to them.

What's the advantage of ACCESS over ACCST? My Taranis X9D+2019 is ACCESS capable, and I've recently got a couple of RX-series receivers. At the moment I'm running everything on v2.1.x ACCST LBT.

As a committed FR Sky user, I do believe that they have shot themselves in the foot with their changes of protocol.

I use V8, D8 and XR8/RXR8 receivers, LBT and never found it less that rock solid at all times. I enjoy model flying and have no interest in computing / TX software. I have no idea what ACCESS and ACCST stands for. The continual changes erodes confidence in the brand.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 01/11/2020 20:03:57:
What's the advantage of ACCESS over ACCST? My Taranis X9D+2019 is ACCESS capable, and I've recently got a couple of RX-series receivers. At the moment I'm running everything on v2.1.x ACCST LBT.

If you want the cynical answer then it is (for FrSky) the ability to stop rival manufacturers copying their firmware.

If you want the non cynical answer then over the air firmware updates and binding to multiple TX’s are the big ones that I know of although likely a few others as well, none that are of interest to me though,

I’m sticking resolutely with my X10S ACCST, not interested in buying a new TX every couple of years.

ACCESS Rx are slightly cheaper plus the R10 Pro has 10 channels (could be handy?) and power redundancy. I like that you can register the Rx to the Tx then bind to a model without having to press the bind button when it's in the 'plane, makes it easier if you move Rx between models (does anyone still do that?). I suppose the OTA upgrades could be useful to save having to plug a lead into the Rx.

The new ACCESS features have some merit if you have RXs buried deep in models and it's hard to rebind/update them (glider guiders in the main), but for most the value will be marginal at best. As Philip points out the main value proposition is to Frsky in terms of making it harder for the clone TXs (Radiomaster, Jumper etc), but I doubt that will work for long - it seems likely there will be a new multiprotocol module with the hardware to run ACCESS within 12-18 months.

Posted by Philip Lewis 3 on 01/11/2020 18:28:19:

I'm definitely correct, the firmware that runs the RF signal for both the internal (IXJT) and external (XJT) is not part of the O/S on the TX, If you had an XJT module in the back then a new version of FrOS would not update the firmware on it.

Open TX users in addition must flash both IXJT and XJT separately, done within Open TX, with FrOS the update to FrOS also includes an update to flash the IXJT firmware so it simultaneously flashes the IXJT, that is why FrSky label it 1.3.07 with iXJT v2.1.0 update.

It might seem like splitting hairs but I've answered so many Open TX users questions of why doesn't it work when they have updated the OS software and the reason is they have updated Open TX but they haven't updated the IXJT firmware, to be clear, no matter what you update on Open TX it will do nothing to the IXJT or XJT firmware, with FrOS the IXJT firmware update is bundled in with the OS Upgrade and flashes at the same time as the update.

You can only use the Archer receivers with Access TX's there is no ACCST Firmware so no D16 compatibility, other receivers like the RX6R can use either Access or ACCST depending on what firmware you load on to them.

Thanks for the clarification Philip.

Have wondered about upgrading to Access as don't have 100% confidence in my X10S after getting an un-commanded servo input on the first flight I flew with the system some 2 years ago and loss of telemetry messages given on more recent flights in a glider. Done very little flying again this year so end up not knowing if its the transmitter, software or installation issues.

Posted by Ron Gray on 02/11/2020 09:03:20:

(ACCESS) makes it easier if you move Rx between models (does anyone still do that?).

I think you may be confusing two things, ACCESS lets you bind multiple TX's to two receivers, if you want to move receivers between models then in ACCST either just don't use model match when you set it up, that way the same receiver would be bound to all models if that is what you want (usual warnings apply) or alternatively if you switch it to a different existing model just change the receiver no to that of the model that is bound.

Posted by Andy Joyce on 02/11/2020 14:05:11:

Have wondered about upgrading to Access as don't have 100% confidence in my X10S after getting an un-commanded servo input on the first flight I flew with the system some 2 years ago and loss of telemetry messages given on more recent flights in a glider. Done very little flying again this year so end up not knowing if its the transmitter, software or installation issues.

Personally over many years and three TX's I have never had a USM issue with either D8 or D16 receivers but I still upgraded to V2.1.1 because potentially it COULD happen, I've not had anything at all awry with that as yet either. and I think that V2.1.1 has been pretty thoroughly tested.

Don't take my word for it though, you can read about it here, all 271 pages of it!

Posted by Andy Joyce on 02/11/2020 14:05:11:

Thanks for the clarification Philip.

Andy, what RX model was that which was giving the telemetry alarms? I had a G-RX8 that did that from day 1, and posts on RCGroups showed there was a large batch which was manufactured incorrectly with a capacitor where a resistor should have been! Check to see if yours is one of those (it's a quick visual inspection) - if it is you should return it to the supplier for replacement. TBH I'm not that impressed by the G-RX8 overall, the vario seems to drift a lot compared to the stand alone high precision unit.

Full details here (key post is #2932).

Edited By MattyB on 04/11/2020 15:41:17

Well Matty that's interesting the uncontrolled servo movement was a X8R which I think purchased around 2.5 years ago and the more recent telemetry loss was an G-RX8 which is possibly 1 to 2 years old. Will now go and do a visual check.

Would agree with your comments on the vario, personally I could not get use to it at all.

Edited By Andy Joyce on 04/11/2020 17:02:28

Well extracted the G-RX8 from the glider which was not simple as nearly fell over because of all the clutter in the garage.

Cardboard case suffered a little in the removal but at least I could see the pcb.

Unfortunately answer is in the picture which to me looks like a resistor fitted, so its not that problem that's causing the issue.

dsc01209.jpg

Edited By Andy Joyce on 04/11/2020 17:03:02

Posted by Andy Joyce on 04/11/2020 16:59:52:

Well extracted the G-RX8 from the glider which was not simple as nearly fell over because of all the clutter in the garage.

Cardboard case suffered a little in the removal but at least I could see the pcb.

Unfortunately answer is in the picture which to me looks like a resistor fitted, so its not that problem that's causing the issue.

dsc01209.jpg

Agreed - that does look correct. Mine had the white capacitor i the top position, and the replacement clearly had the resistor and works fine. Maybe reach out to your supplier and see - 1-2 years ago is exactly around the time they had the issues, if you bought it from T9 I suspect Richard may still replace it for you in order to troubleshoot the issue, he is well aware of this particular problem...

Edited By MattyB on 04/11/2020 17:07:54