Antonov AN2 kits etc?

Geoff S

I happened on some YouTube footage on the origination of this big biplane and ithe concept appealed to me. I think a model around 1.5 metre ws or perhaps a bit smaller but there doen't seem to be anything which surprised me.

I found a few small free flight plans and a huge 3 metre RC one that I probably wouldn't live long enough to complete but no club-sized every day kits or plans. Does anyone know of any?

Some years ago when I flew at the RR (Hucknall)MAC the Utterly Butterly AN2 was there for idiots (well, who jumps out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane willingly? ) to parachute back to earth. It was quite impressive.

Less impressive, in fact frightening, was that shortly after it took off for the last time a Jodel followed to soon and ended up crashing because of the turbulence it caused. Fortunately both occupants were uninjured but seeing a full-size aircraft crash is not something any of us wanted to see.

Anyway, building one appeals but there seems to be neither kits or plans in the size I could conceivably cope with.

Geoff

Advert

Just out of interest of topic I saw a picture on 5he web last week where one has taken of and some sort of engine failure turned round or attempted to land and ran off end of runway it looked in a shocking state with broken wings etc . Will try and find the photo or link

It was in the Mail newspaper 4 days ago unable to link page 

Edited By Keith Berriman on 17/11/2020 12:12:16

Geoff

I too fancied an AN2 but did mine the hard way and scratch built it. but using 'modern' materials Depron and 3D printing.

It size size was determined entirely by the 10x8.25 four blade prop but it came out at 50" span.

Built almost entirely in Depron and 3D printed parts it is very light and flies at pretty near at scale speed but that does mean the wind has to be scale too. wink 2

05jan19a

Posted by Caveman on 17/11/2020 12:14:21:

Geoff, talking of Utterly Butterly there's a 50" plan on Outerzone which I've often considered.

Utterly Butterly

What do you think?

GDB

This version was designed and built by my old mate Don Luck, now sadly passed on. I assisted Don on the test flight and the model flew very nicely, power was provided by a PAW 19 diesel and radio was a set of Fleet FM. I've often fancied one myself but would build it a bit larger, perhaps 65 inch span.

Caveman: Thanks for that. I searched Aerofred and could only find a very big one and some small free-flight ones. I forgot about Outerzone. That looks a reasonable size and would be a good electric power project (as all my new builds are, I'm afraid). It's cerainly worth a look and I've downloaded both the plan and the accomnpanying article.

Simon Chaddock: Why am I not surprised that yours is Depron based? I have some Depron but not a 3D printer nor anywhere to put one! It does look very good but I'm afraid my talents are not quite up to your standards.

Pity we didn't get to meet at our Ashbourne scale day this year. IIRC you and I were the first to fly last year yes

Nigel Dell: Thanks for that. Downloading (and printing) PDF files works very well, I find so I wouldn't have a problem.

The full size has automatic leading edge slats on the top wing. Ian Redshaw's huge HP42 has the same feature and they work very well. IIRC Ian initially had them controlled by servos but found they popped up autimatically when disconnected.

Thanks everyone for the response.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff S on 17/11/2020 17:31:52