Ben Buckle kits

william forster

Advert

The Super Scorpion plan is on Outerzone.

Last week somebody said that BB plans have a problem due to illness.

Belair list the Super Scorpion

but you don't get the stripwood etc with Belair.   However Balsa Cabin and also SLEC had  stripwood available recently even when sheet was out of stock.

Edited By kc on 17/11/2020 16:30:09

Edited By kc on 17/11/2020 16:34:37

Just a remark concerning the above posts.

The Super Scorpion plan on Outerzone isn't the Ben Buckle plan.
Ben's plan is a 50% enlargement of the original KK Scorpion.

The plan on Outerzone has been redrawn, in Slovenia or Slovakia, again based on a 50% enlargement of the KK plan, but with a few minor mods. The result is almost the same as Ben's plan of course.
Unfortunately, the draughtsman didn't know that there was never a KK Super Scorpion, so he added a Keil Kraft Kits logo, for "enhanced authenticity" and submitted the plan to SAM USA... No comment.
But it's a good plan nevertheless...

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 20/11/2020 14:55:40:

Just a reply for BrokenEnglish, with regard to info re the Scorpion plan.

This is written on my scorpion plan. Hopefully it's readable. Gordon Murray was killed in action in 1942.

D.D.

Yes, those notes were written on the plan by Ben and are common knowledge among the vintage mob.

Ben is referring to the original American "Answer" and "Topper" design from 1940 (I think).
This had elliptical dihedral, obtained by doping, then supporting the wing at the tips and hanging a weight in the middle, while the dope dried (Yippee!).
Note that this "feature" is not retained in the Cambrian kit, which I think uses normal straight dihedral.

Thus, most people would consider Albert Hatfull's completely redesigned wing, to give the KK Scorpion, to be a great improvement.

The point I was making is that Steve, who runs Outerzone, doesn't publish the Ben Buckle Super Scorpion plan because Colin Buckle is still selling the plan and the kit.

However, an Eastern European intellectual decided to invent a Keil Kraft Kits Super Scorpion (which never existed of course) and drew his own plan, which he submitted to SAM US, and this is the plan that is on Outerzone.

Cultural nonsense but it's an excellent drawing.
The advantage with Ben's original SS plan is that you get all sorts of helpful construction notes on the plan.