Liteply compositionPoplar 87%

Does Liteply contain Balsa wood?

The importers and distributors of Liteply (which is incidentally a patented trademark), in the USA is the North American Plywood Corporation. According to their website the composition of Liteply is

Poplar 87%, Ureic Formaldehyde Resin 12%, Ammonium Chloride 1%.

No Balsa. Perhaps there is a European version containing balsa?

Edited By Solly on 20/11/2020 21:38:47

Advert

I must admit I always thought the core was balsa but I'd never checked properly.

I bought a small sheet of Liteply (at least that's what I ordered) from SLEC and I'm almost certain it said poplar ply on it whenit arrived. I though it may be something to do with the balsa shortage. It didn't bother as it is light and I was still able to cut it with a few strokes of a scalpel (one of the things I like about it).

I''m sure some knowledgable forumite will put us straight.

Geoff

It's a while since I last bought balsaply but it definitely exists, I have a few sheets somewhere. It;s very nice, but IIRC more expensive than liteply at the time. Have been using liteply since the 1990s and havenpt detected any difference in it's composition, It;s always been that sort of material and I haven't noticed any replacement of a balsa core with anything else- don;t think it was there in the first place.

As I understand it true light ply is made from Ceiba wood , similar to balsa but with a long open grain .It can be very light and sometimes brittle. Another feature is that cyano glue can travel down the wood structures and glue you to the wood some distance way from the application site blush a bit annoying at times.The other types of light ply sold is made from poplar and it is a lot heavier than the proper light ply . It should be called Medium ply or Poplar ply as it certainly isn't light.

The important thing to us is not what they make it from but a. whether it's available, b, what it weighs, c, is it strong enough

So what do the actual samples we have weigh per square foot? We can weigh whatever samples we have and calculate what the weight would be for a sq ft........

Then compare it to balsa - a 4inch by 36 inch sheet is of course a square foot.

It seems that there is several types of light ply using different materials. Poplar is one timber in use but that seems to be sourced from different Poplar species. Mantua models stock light ply, beautiful stuff, white in colour and dead flat not all light ply is like that. Snag, the pieces are only 200mm wide, so could be expensive to make fuselage sides from it. In the 79;s Graupner used a balsa ply in some of their kits, again beautiful stuff, don't whether they sold it as a sheet material.

The point is Liteply is made from Poplar which grows all over. The balsa suppliers often list it as Poplar ply anyway.   SLEC list both Poplar ply and Liteply.

You can buy 8ft by 4ft  Poplar ply sheets from timber suppliers and some state it's from European sustainable sources.    4mm  by 8 x4 sheet 24 pounds

I think VAT goes on top of that price so the prices balsa suppliers charge for tiny sheets seems pretty fair.

Edited By kc on 21/11/2020 11:54:44

Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 21/11/2020 11:22:47:

It seems that there is several types of light ply using different materials. Poplar is one timber in use but that seems to be sourced from different Poplar species. Mantua models stock light ply, beautiful stuff, white in colour and dead flat not all light ply is like that. Snag, the pieces are only 200mm wide, so could be expensive to make fuselage sides from it. In the 79;s Graupner used a balsa ply in some of their kits, again beautiful stuff, don't whether they sold it as a sheet material.

I think it might have been Mantua Models who made the balsa ply that I sourced from Blackburn Models some years ago. It was definitely balsa and definitely different than the commonly available Liteply and lightply, including that in Flair kits. A completely different material.

You will note that Slec are careful not to infringe the patent by spelling it as Lite Ply, with a space between the words. Also the proper poplar Liteply has a small circe with an internal "R" at the end of the word. I suppose that anyone can manufacture Lite Ply, or Poplar Ply, whatever, but cannot use the official logo as decribed above.