High wattage chargers...

Why is so tricky to find a company who makes a decent wattage Lipo charger that takes ac power? There’s plenty that offer 300 watts or more, but only when on a dc supply, and even then they need about 18v minimum. None seem to offer anything of 100w or more from ac. Where am I supposed to get a 18-24v dc supply from - least of all one capable of giving 15amps or more? Are power supplies capable of this demand so expensive that charger manufacturers won’t incorporate them into a charger for fear they’ll price themselves out of the market? Could it be that they worried that the heat generated by such a power supply, when used in the same packaging as the charger circuitry, would be too much?
I don’t really want to faff about with a power supply for 240v ac to 18-24v dc, then separate cables to a decent charger cabable of even a 1C charge for my 6s 5200mAh pack! I’d rather just have one box - perhaps with the option of plugging it into a 12v supply for field use, albeit at a lower power output. Maybe they exist and I’ve simply not seen them, I don’t know!

If you want high power with AC or DC input, it sometimes pays to look outside of the normal modelling world.

I have been very pleased with my 50010 DC input chargers from Chargery for the past couple of years, but they also do a range of higher power AC/DC chargers. Some of their range of chargers can be seen here and they are also available in europe - for example one of their highest power units from Leomotion. (but perhaps a bit cheaper via AliExpress where I bought mine!)

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 27/11/2020 23:18:26

Posted by Caveman on 27/11/2020 23:05:29:

I think it is suggesting that it also has a 200W output, which appears to be round the back of the case.

Whenever did the Chinese ever let someone else's patent get in the way?

Only 2 sockets round the rear. Presumably one for AC input and one for DC.

screenshot_20201128_004012.jpg

The label underneath suggests that 200W is th maximum AC input. Quite a bit down on the 650W DC input. At least this is double the 100W AC input limit that the original poster was looking for.

screenshot_20201128_003729.jpg

Having a DC supply really opens up your charging capabilities, for example this 20A charger covered my needs for a long time and I had no issues with it until I needed more charging capabilities.

In terms of DC supplies. If you are happy to do a bit of research then HP DPS-1200FB server power supplies can be easily converted to supply you with 2400W @ 24V (100A)

Failing that Ian Contessa can supply already converted server PSU's ready to pair with whichever charger you choose.

Edited By Jon Robb on 28/11/2020 01:25:57