Derek Woodward 'Amelia'

Matt Carlton

Hello chaps. Yes, I know it's not an RCM&E plan, but since the demise of dear old Rodeo Muddler, I crave your indulgence!

img_20201215_140136.jpg

img_20201215_140218.jpg

Nothing hugely impressive, just posting for posterity as much as anything in the event my phone goes kaput.

Slightly modified centre section with full depth brace out 2 bays and a bolt fitting rather than bands.

Not the greatest build, but reasonably light. What you see cones in just under 9oz, including tank, engine mount, snakes etc.

I'll update from time to time, but I tend to build in fits and starts.

Cheers

Matt

Looks an attractive model. I'm surprised it appears it's going to be glow-powered because I thought Derek was one of the early advocates of electric power.

I'm with you on the sporadic building. I haven't done any myself for a week or two. I like building but I like it leavened by a bit of flying which has been in short supply for me this year.

Geoff

Steve: No, but to be honest I'm just going to build them as a really straightforward D box, just using the plan for dimensions and section. Original is a half D box, but I think the extra rigidity and ding proofing is worth the slight weight penalty. Yep, the sprogs insisted that we decorate. I'll be fed up with it by tomorrow, but I'll grit my teeth 😬

Geoff: I have an OS 20FP looking for a home, hence I have gone IC, plus all my field equipment is IC. That may change, but I have a soft spot for IC, even if it is noisy and messy.

Edited By Matt Carlton on 15/12/2020 14:49:49

If this is the amilia I think it is, a free plan from a mag way back in the day, I had a brief flight of one of these.

It seemed very heavy in flight but ok. Later that afternoon the owner/builder was flying it, and it suffered a wing failure.

I sure I have the mag and plan as it looked a good model.

From the plan the original shows an OS 20/26 engine although I agree, had it been an electric version 'back in the day' it would have been heavy and under-powered on a 600 brushed motor. The plan does state hard balsa for the spars for good reason (spruce, even better) but a good move to fit spar webs Matt. yes Coming together nicely, what engine are you fitting?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/12/2020 06:49:15

The model was glow powered probably with an OS 15 or 20, built and flown by an oldish gentleman club member. It was not being flown hard and from memory ( I saw it fail in the air and crash ) the wing failed in a slight banked turn to its starboard side, failing beyond the fuselage on its port wing root area. It shattered on arrival with terra firma. The hieght at the failure was about 1 1/2 mistakes high. I tend to use spruce spars and have not had a wing or structural failure, yet.......not many rocket sticks about after Nov 5th......only found 6 or 7 this year.

Edited By Rich Griff on 17/12/2020 09:53:35

The wing joint as designed looked a trifle suspect to me as well, hence I modified it to be a full depth brace which is firmly epoxied to the existing webs and the spars. The addition of extra sheeting for the D-box over the original top sheet only should also help matters in terms of torsional rigidity and possibly spanwise strength. We'll see.

Good shout on spruce stick source! I'd not thought of that

img_20201220_103200.jpgDid a bit more. Nearly time to press pause for Christmas...

AUW at this point is 13.5oz. I reckon that engine, RC gear, u/c and covering will add another 18oz. Should be pretty close to 2.5lb AUW. Hoping for closer to 2lb. Assuming the old .20FP capable of 300w, (372 when new apparently) then 150W/lb seems likely.

img_20201220_202406.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...