EU drone rules

Advert

Posted by Terry Plumridge 1 on 13/01/2021 10:00:25:

Just to clarify I live in the EU but the CAA and EU rules look to be pretty much the same. I know it is reatively easy to get the necessary qualifications that are now needed, but I would be tested in German. Not so easy for me. I am just thinking if Paramotors are included, they are not drones or airplanes.

The rules apply to all Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). The words "drone" or "model aircraft" are just words we use amongst ourselves to try and subdivide ourselves into different "clans".

Basically, if it is unmanned and you fly it then the rules apply whatever you choose to call it smiley

Different countries may have slight variations in the way they implement the rules, so it is best to try and contact an aeromodelling organisation in the country you reside in to get the best advice and help.

Dick

Terry - are you referring to models or full size?

Assuming EU rules are essentially the same as UK then the legislation applies to all unmanned aerial vehicles with a mass of more than 250g and all that are capable of personal data aquisition. Model paramotors are no different from any other model in this respect. As Captain K suggests, the DMFV would be able to confirm whether they have any concessions or variations agreed in their country.

Edit: Dick must be quicker on the keyboard than me!

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 13/01/2021 11:05:47

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 13/01/2021 11:04:33:

Assuming EU rules are essentially the same as UK then the legislation applies to all unmanned aerial vehicles with a mass of more than 250g and all that are capable of personal data aquisition. Model paramotors are no different from any other model in this respect. As Captain K suggests, the DMFV would be able to confirm whether they have any concessions or variations agreed in their country.

You used the dangerous word "assume" Martin! The OP has not even clarified if he is talking about a model paramotor or a "sit yourself in" device. Surely the only safe and responsible course of action is to refer him to the rules in the country he intends to operate in and not make recommendations based on UK rules?

OK, they may be the same or differ minimally, but why take that risk?

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 13/01/2021 11:04:33:

Well yes, but you also attempted to give advice on the applicability of the legislation (assuming it was the same as the UK) and you spent more time setting that out than just advising the OP to go and look at the rules in their own country.

I'm not having a go...