Where do you get your Lead from ?

DaveyP

Posted by DaveyP on 15/01/2021 13:48:51:

Wow thanks for all the replies, there are a few houses near me having their roofs done I'll ask, but if not there are lots of alternatives thumbs up

Don't be upset if they refuse to give you any, plumbers and roofers keep it to sell for scrap as a kind of little perk to make some extra money on the job.

Advert

IMO the maxim today is to think ahead, with nearly everything related to our hobby.

In short everything others have done, likewise I have done for some time.

What is the form this takes? In the case of Lead, when my domestic plumbing was being updated, I claimed all the lead from the plumber. Both of my house extensions resulted with unused Lead flashing, in addition to some old flashing as a consequence of the new build.

In all case this was made clear before any work was done, as to whom would own the lead.

The old plumbing was rather cumbersome to store, as random bits of bent plumbing pipe. To ease storage I made up a mould out of wood, melted the lead and poured into the moulds to create ingots. Another plus side is that these bars are now used in model building to weigh things down.

Not being a good builder, I often need more than a few grams of Lead to achieve the required CG. I have a number of small moulds in which I have and do cast small ingots for this purpose.

Being a worrier, I do all my melting outside or in a very well ventilated area, keeping up wind. I wear leather gardening type gloves, heavy non plastic clothing, in case of a splash of any type. Call me paranoid, better safe than sorry.

Even handling lead these days has me washing my hands.

The problem with approach, is that you have an awful lot of bits and pieces about, which may never be used, or not perfect for what you are doing. The plus is that you more often than not decide that perfection is just not necessary.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/01/2021 14:36:47