Saito query

David perry 1

Advert

Sorry, poor description. The pushrod or one at least bent.

its not my engine so i havent seen it but he says its bent. Ive seen it fly, plenty of smoke and it really didnt seem to get hot or bog down. One inverted pass and he says the engine made a clicking sound and stopped. Inspection revealed a bent rod

Curious.... and interesting.

Assuming the pushrod was 100% straight, it is difficult to see how it would bend in flight. However, it stands as a warning to the rest of us but, realistically, there is nothing we can do to prevent a similar failure.

Personally, I have been thrashing my Saitos mercilessly for the last 25 years or so and, so far, they have all stood up to no end of twisty-turny, high "G" flying.

How old is the "naughty" engine?  And has it suffered any crash damage in the past, or been rebuilt? 

Edited By Brian Cooper on 15/01/2021 09:38:33

For a pushrod to bend something has to tighten up or run out of alignment. Have a look at the valve gear train from the followers to rockers and the valve guides. You say plenty of smoke from exhaust? That could mean oil has carbonised onto he valve stems causing them to stick if using castor based fuel. What fuel / oil was your son using ?

Like others I have had Saito engines that have run for hours and been thrashed mercilessly and never missed a beat.

My suspicion is the valve clearance caused it.

If the clearance was quite large the pushrod might have jumped out of its adjustor and got wedged or it got stuck under the rocker and drove the valve into the piston. If it was the latter i would expect a fair bit more damage though so its probably the former but in either case, the rod could bend as it has nowhere else to go.

A clubmate had this happen to his engine (a 100? cant remember) but the rod didnt bend, it just jammed the valve open so the engine stopped with no other damage.

Martin's point about rpm is very valid in this case as a wide clearance with a bit of valve bounce, or perhaps a weak/broken valve spring would be contributory. A broken valve spring could also be the cause all on its own.