RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martyn

I think there is just enough of the cylinder head hanging out in the breeze. Also the engine is bolted to a 6mm thk aluminium plate which is then bolted to the bearers, so I think the ali plate acts as a heat sink.

I do have a load of build pictures somewhere, if I can find them I will post a few. One thing to bear in mind is to make the metal wire tail skid quite substantial, mine has recently snapped off flush with the fuselage.

Regard

Hi Danny - will be glad to help with any questions, it's funny because I was only looking at the plans last weekend, I'm toying with the idea of scaling it up to about 80" span (in the future!!)

I seem to remember an issue with the aileron's, bear in mind I built it in 2008/09 so a distant memory. I also did away with the top forward hatch, access is from the bottom wing opening.

Hi John - not sure on the weight, but she fly's very scale like on the 120. And sounds good too!!

Richard

I was toying with the idea of scaling it up to 1/5 scale (72" span) for an OS120FS with a prop extension shaft to get the Cylinder head as far back as possible. Not sure of that is such a good idea now if you think that a Laser120 is a good match

I'd like to get the engine properly buried if possible

Martyn

Martyn

Unless you already have the OS, go on the laser website ( Laserengines.com ), download the dimensioned drawings. Then you'l be able to see how the OS is 23mm, almost an inch, taller than the Laser from crankshaft axis to the top of the valve cover. The rear valvegear of the Laser also contributes to it being much more "streamlined" than any of the front valvegear engines.

If you're serious about scaling up the plan, have a look at my Laser 155.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

The 120 does fit nice, I didn't use any special adaptor. The spinner was custom made for me by a machining friend, it cost me £50, every time we see each other he reminds me it should of been nearer to a £100. It was machined out of solid 4" aluminum bar. I'm not sure you can get a commercially made one due to the shape.

Martyn - at 60" it has quite a good presence in the air and the 120 makes a good combo.

Richard

While i am not doubting what Richard has said i am very surprised he deems the 120 adequate and not overpowered. There is a video online of the considerably larger/heavier/draggier Precedent Stampe flying about quite happily on our 120 and i have seen 80'' moths and the like flown with our 100. I also flew an 80'' Mick Reeves Hurricane with our 120 without issue. The 72'' seagull Gypsy Moth is also really good with our 80 fitted. I dont want to get too bogged down with the how and why (although i am curious about the prop used and top end rpm), but i still think an 80 or 90 would be more than sufficient, especially when the model was probably flown on a merco 61 or something when designed and any modern engine of half that capacity would probably be more powerful.

Indeed, the original was flown on a Merco 61 which was the standard power plant 40 years ago.

I guess that is what the throttle control is for, we have no real idea just how Dennis B would have flown the prototype but I guess that it would have been at the top end of the throttle stick.

Martyn

Hi Richard

Dennis' tank position is just indicated by a hole in F3! This looks to locate the tank so that in horizontal flight the carb spraybar is about 2/3 the way up the tank. Playing in CAD with the Dubro dimensions on the 1/6th drawing with the 120, it looks as if the spraybar on your 120 would be just lower than halfway up the tank with the fuz horizontal. So it sounds as if the 120 isn't critical on tank location. Happily, with the model on the ground it's stance is so nose-up that the likelihood of fuel syphoning out of a full tank through the carb whilst at rest should be slight.

Thanks again for the information, Richard. I'm not thinking about doing a Fury, but there are a couple of other golden age RAF silver bipes I'd like to do some day and all info is useful.

Gordon

That’s a lovely looking Fury Richard, bet your proud of that one.

Don’t know how successful it will be but I’m going to have a go at 3D printing a spinner, so the dimension drawing is very useful, thanks. Mine will be electric so won’t have the same stresses as yours, if it balances ok.

It will give me something to do until the build gets underway, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Nev.