RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Picked up a Fury at a bring & buy yesterday, well chuffed, at 60" span looks like it could be a Bryant one? Will probably go electric as i don`t do the glow stuff however if there was a petrol engine that would fit in i would definitely consider that, any thoughts?

Wanted to post some pics but it all looks a bit complicated, can`t i just add one from my laptop, i don`t have a hosting site etc...............Martin

Advert

Hello to all,

As I can foresee some regular 'glue drying' waiting time during my forthcoming winter build, I thought of preparing some small bits for the Fury in between.

My attention got attracted by the the cowling and front panels 'quick fasteners' (nowadays Dzus fasteners).

The DB plan isn't accurate at all with them as they are simply represented by a 'flat headed' screw being even to small.

fury_1.jpg

I tried to estimate the 'washer' outer diameter and the 'screw' diameter by comparing some pics I have available. The best I came up with is 6 to 8mm OD & 3 to 4mm ID for the washer.

Does someone has some more accurate information, please?

My idea is to make a master and have some PU casting. Or maybe even trying an 'acrylic plus medium' casting.

Cheers

Chris

Hello to all,

I first thought that everybody here had a fine weekend in Brighton... but now, Sint Nicolas being tomorrow, I guess all of you are out buying some toys for the kids... or even already preparing for the big Christmas splash. surprise

Please keep in mind that a 20" scale wooden prop will need some cash as well... frown

But, no probs, my 'washers' will have to wait.

Cheers

Chris

No probs at all, Danny.

I guess I only meant to be a little sarcastic, blush and to 'bump' the thread up a bit.

I guess those were for your Hurricane build?

Do you have any idea how much the Fury's ones could measure at a 1:6 scale?

Thanks in advance

Cheers & have a great Sint Nicolas tomorrow wink

Chris

Hi Richard, I use quite an old plotter, a Robo Craft made by Graphtec. The newer version is the Silhouette Martyn and Andy have these.

0954 (large).jpg

The alloy tape is layered to the required thickness, smaller than 1/6 one layer is enough, anything bigger then two layers. The plotter will cut the adhesive foil, though you have to play with the settings to ensure the foil is cut and not the backing

200212dsc_4856.jpg

My Hurricane panels were made by gently forming litho plate and then adhering them to the airframe. This is an option obviously for the Fury

Cheers

Danny

Richard, if you decide to go the HK route, their iron-on 'Bright Silver' is looking more like 'chrome' than silver. I had to 'temper' it a bit with some wet Scotch Brite for my Ballerina fuselage.

You can also find some cheap 'full chrome' adhesive with free shipping at AliExpress.

Still no one having a constructive idea for the dimensions of the Fury's Dzus fasteners? ... crying

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, I cannot tell you how big the fasteners are on the Fury but i can tell you how big they are on the Spitfire

These dimensions are of a 50% cad file I have, so double the numbers and divide by 6

dzus at 50 percent.jpg

Can anybody confirm/deny that all DZus fasteners of that period were the same size, as i do not know the answer....

Cheers

Danny

That's great, Danny. Thank you. yes

So, that's giving us an ID of 2,1mm and a OD of 5,7mm at 1:6 scale.

Or ID = 5/64in and OD = 7/32in in pre-war figures. That's even a bit smaller than I had anticipated.

And at the end, if the scale comp judges are carrying micrometers, we could always justify the use of Spitfire fasteners during the last upgrade of our model... angel

But now I just need to make about sixty of them !

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris

Good morning.

Great info about the fasteners. cool​ Received the Wood I ordered (I will need more of a few sizes...) Also have the 5" Willians Bross wheels.

One Question. The flying wires are round or flat? I have some flat rigging wires from Mick Rives.

José Luis.

P.S.: I have a book over planes in the Civil Spanish war. There are a history about the three planes that arrived to Spain and the fouth that was built with the parts of the deceased 3. It contains drawings at 1772 scale. Not as detailed as the Westburg. I´ve scaned them.

Danny,

Re Mick's flat wires here's the info from Mick's website

"Hard Stainless rigging wire. Does not get kinked in use, and is very strong.
1/16" x 0.015", £4.50
3/32" x 0.020", £4.50
1/8" x 0.030 £6.00.
These are scale size and thickness, flat with rounded edges.
Difficult to tell from the scale oval section. - 5 metre rolls"

You're mostly welcome, Richard.

Danny, I 'got the message' for the steel staining. In fact, I just need to buy an airbrush and recluse myself in La Grotte during say at least a few months... yes

Regarding, the Fury's rigging wires aren't those just 'round' instead of having an 'ovoïd' shape?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, on the plan they are just round, and i might go that way, but the Mick Reeves Stainless sectioned ones do look nice and not that expensive. Even if it is just for the experience I might give them a go

For stainless we will need flux and a suitable blowlamp/torch. For piano wire normal solder will do. Plenty of time to muse on that one.

Cheers

Danny