RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Danny
For Mick's flat wires I got some solder and flux from him. I had never done any silver soldering before this. I was able to get nice solder joints using my Dremel versa flame. I made my first pieces for a 1/4 scale Cub tail wires and also for a 30 cc Pitts. These soldered joints have been doing good for over a year and half.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends how you look at it, Martian.

To me it appears as it will be 'short time' to finish my Vicomte 1916 build in between. Starting very soon now, I hope.

While you wait, what about a Grumpy TC with an extra motor/engine in the fuse nose? ... or a 1: 12 scale HMS Bounty with lots of little knots? ... or the Cheops thingie at 1: 12 in Lego blocks (mmhhh, lots of hidden tunnels & rooms)... yes angel

Cheers

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 04/01/2018 06:24:42:

It depends how you look at it, Martian.

To me it appears as it will be 'short time' to finish my Vicomte 1916 build in between. Starting very soon now, I hope.

While you wait, what about a Grumpy TC with an extra motor/engine in the fuse nose? ... or a 1: 12 scale HMS Bounty with lots of little knots? ... or the Cheops thingie at 1: 12 in Lego blocks (mmhhh, lots of hidden tunnels & rooms)... yes angel

Cheers

Chris

as amusing and exciting as those projects are I think I'll give them a miss anyway I,m not completely idle I'm currently building a Ghostrider 2 or 3 weeks worth of work and have to finish my Warbirds Spitfire that depends on the detail I put in

Posted by McG 6969 on 04/01/2018 18:02:22:

... sjeesh, you are planning to build your Ghostrider in "2 or 3 weeks"... surprise

... and I will need 9 months to realize I'm not even close to finish the Vicomte? blush

Sometimes wondering if I'm really ready for this Class.

Cheers

Chris

Chuckle...are they ready for you. face 1

Tis a joke don't be offended. wink

Posted by McG 6969 on 04/01/2018 18:02:22:

... sjeesh, you are planning to build your Ghostrider in "2 or 3 weeks"... surprise

... and I will need 9 months to realize I'm not even close to finish the Vicomte? blush

Sometimes wondering if I'm really ready for this Class.

Cheers

Chris

To be fair to you Chris the Ghostrider is an easy build whereas the Vicomte is more complex

I have no idea regarding the difficulty of the Ghostrider, Martian.

But I really hope the Vicomte isn't that "complex".

I had a 'very deep' analyse of the drawings and indeed it seems to be needing an 'accurate' build. Of course it will be my first balsa 'bashing' build as well.

"Only time will tell, I guess".

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Martyn & all,

I've been reading Mr Ashby's letter regarding the unfortunate cease of trading of Solarfilm.

I promptly went to the HK site to order some Solartex from the EU warehouse. Some colors - like the 'natural' - are already out of stock over there.

So, I would suggest to hurry about it if you need some.

Very bad news anyhow. It seems not to stop with those 'ceases of trading' in the modelling business. frown

Cheers

Chris

I hope to be able to join this build if i can get the chippy ready for final paint. I am in the process of covering ailerons, flaps etc with silk over tissue. A lot more work involved however very pleased with the initial tissue covering.

If the covering goes well,there will be no need for solartex.

I think my area of future intrest is going to be WW1 so the fury build does appeal as a good stepping stone, especially with the guidance from Danny.

Regards

SW

Excellent SW, can you show some pics of your silk over tissue? That's what I am planning for my Fury I have heard its normal tissue methods then thinned wallpaper paste the silk on to the tissue, sounds barbaric but is how the experts do it They say it looks like a disaster until it dries.

I think I will be learning quite a bit too, not really done a scale bipe, all that rigging, and silk over tissue as well. Should be real fun.

Cheers

Danny