RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Hi gents,

Here are a few pics of K1930 from the Landuyt Collection in Wevelgem, Belgium. In fact it's the one shown on Danny's Westburg drawings.

As Daithi wrote there are no hinges for the cowl, just a top and bottom row of 5 Dzus fasteners - plus a third Dzus at the back end - for each side panel. The top panel is removed in one piece and is showing some Dzus fixings around its perimeter.

fury_3.jpg

Here you can see the top panel sitting on the ground and a side panel resting against the right wheel.

The cockpit bottom panels are using the same system for fixation. Note the cowl 'ring' remaining in place just behind the spinner.

fury_5.jpg

fury_6.jpg

For those interested, there are some more pics in my Fury album.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a new Sub Forum. Thanks to Beth Ashby

Hawker Fury Mk1 - RAF's Finest Biplane!

Hope the Sub-forum title doesn't upset the pedants too much..

This post has also been moved into the new sub-forum in Workshop..

You now post here with your plans for your chosen model/variant and when ready create your build blogs.

It would be nice to see a post from each builder stating which particular aircraft they are planning to build

Not long to go now folks..

Martyn and Danny

Hi Danny and the Fury guys

Here is the artwork (unfinished) for the acid etching for the metal bits for the fury.

I've included some that are not absolutely necessary because the minium size that can be processed is what I've shown. There are quite a few extra clips, and bits fir the windscreen etc. There is still a wee bit left, so if anyone has ideas how to fill it, please let me know;; I can make any changes as long as they are sensible

ernieACIDE

Hi Ernie, the etcher will thank you profusely if you can mask off that big white area and make it black as this will be 'expensive' (in chemicals) and very time consuming to etch. Perhaps also duplicate some smaller pieces as spares?

Apart from that, it looks fantastic.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 29/06/2018 16:40:22

Thanks Martyn, Yes I''ll do that, Its never been mentioned before Re folding, They etch from both sides, so I can get a groove etched on one side. I'm a wee bit wary in case it affects the structural integrity. Also, I've got a wee device that helps with this. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.L I think it cale from Multirex here in France

ernie

Really amazing job indeed, Ernie. yes

As per Danny's and Martyn's writing, It would be better to have some 'spares' anyway instead of having a white - read empty - space left over. Especially if the final price is the same.

Regarding the 'folding' bits, why not having a standard full set together with another one with the 'folding' zone etched. We then could use the best/easiest set for the job.

As I know absolutely nothing about acid etching, I'm very probably talking total rubbish (again). blush

Cheers

Chris