RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

I think I've covered the essentials, so any idea what I might put in it?

ernie

"Regarding the 'folding' bits, why not having a standard full set together with another one with the 'folding' zone etched. We then could use the best/easiest set for the job".

... unless my proposition above was totally meaningless... ???

Cheers

Chris

Advert

Ernie can I make a suggetion? Could you make the holes smaller so that they are more an indication of where the hole is. Then we can drill/open them up as required? Much as I do on the glass fibre horns/hinges? A drilled hole is easier to match to our own hardware (screws/bolts etc)

Cheers

Danny

6249efb2-4b45-4278-88f4-c1304712ad99.jpeg60c1a24f-2ea5-4d08-a31c-fb106bd56691.jpeg4e2c3c65-4d95-46c7-9bb4-00464c11da58.jpegJust for further interest, the Fury story began with the Hawker Hornet prototype of 1928. Even in 1935 the Fury looked pretty good, but in 1928 the Hornet was sensational really. In an earlier post I said photos were hard to find but going on line I found some straight away. These are straight from BAe Systems Heritage web page, so all credits to them. If I wasn’t doing the Spanish version, I’d do this.1c1c9569-329e-480f-9bd1-46a7b8f7fe31.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 01/07/2018 17:36:00

fd93395e-00f1-4dbe-969b-7be7c1ab204c.jpegThe Fury is a really interesting subject, a bit more history that you might already know, but here it is anyway. Rolls Royce’s development of the Kestrel was kick-started by the inspirational Curtiss D1 engine, used successfully by them in their own mould breaking low drag designs. Fairey were so impressed that they acquired licences and built the original Firefly in 1925 using the Curtiss engine. You can see from the photo here where both Rolls Royce and Hawker got the inspiration for the Kestrel and Hornet/Fury from. Because the RAF didn’t want to use an American engine, for the competition in 1928 won by the Hornet, Fairey entered a version of the Firefly powered by the Kestrel and there wasn’t much in it. Reportedly the Hornet won because the Firefly was of wooden construction and the RAF wanted metal. Westland also entered with the very attractive Wizard monoplane, also Kestrel powered, but it lost out to the biplanes. Hope you don’t mind me wandering a bit, but I think this history is fascinating. Hawker get a lot of credit for their streamlined Kestrel powered biplanes, but it was kicked off by Fairey with the D1 engine, the Fox and the Firefly. The outcome was the elegant Fury.7020a3c5-c611-4c5d-8ce6-8f593e15c8d8.jpeg

Hi Danny. I’ve read that the Fury was slightly larger but I’ve checked the dimensions and the wings are identical, the fuselage might be 6” longer but that varies depending on the source. I would guess that the main differences would be associated with “productionising”, in all key elements I think they are the same.

Just to add to the understanding of the range of variations achievable from the basic Fury plan1e518942-7b39-4aff-a403-6fc4f628cbdc.jpeg, here is the F20/27. Originally tested with first a Bristol Jupiter and then a Mercury. When converted to the Rolls Royce engine it became the Hornet and was about 15 mph faster than with the early Mercury, which at that time had significant problems.

To finish off this mini-series (!) on the further options with the Fury, there was also a floatplane version of the Nimrod naval variant. Interesting to compare this with the Curtiss Schneider Trophy planes that can certainly be considered as having kicked off the line that lead to the Fury. Also although I don’t think it has been said before, it shows that, although more indirect than with the Spitfire, there really is a connection between the Hurricane and the Schneider Trophy. Camm went wrong through doggedly sticking to the mistaken belief that thick wing sections didn’t increase high speed drag and compromised the development potential of the Hurricane and almost unbelievably persevered with this mistake in the Tornado/Typhoon, so failing in the objective of producing a superior interceptor that could replace the Spitfire from 1941. The fact that it turned out to be good low down was fortunate but not intended. The Fury reallyad3b81a5-8eb7-4661-a976-7b9503644a8f.jpeg was an important link in this consecutive series of events

Hi Guys, I hope this gives you the link

folder

If not its https://www.multirex.net/index.cfm

Alas it's not a wire bender. It's designed for thin sheet bits, such as we are planning for the Fury; You trap the bit under one of the metal bits, and the bend it against the edge Easier to do than to say

ernie

I decided to get an Airfix 1:72 plastic kit to use as a reference during the build, I am close-ish to a model shop for a few days but my kit is 200miles away! Can anyone give me the Humbrol paint numbers for the SAARF version? So I can order paint.

Posted by Klippy on 05/07/2018 09:02:19:

I decided to get an Airfix 1:72 plastic kit to use as a reference during the build, I am close-ish to a model shop for a few days but my kit is 200miles away! Can anyone give me the Humbrol paint numbers for the SAARF version? So I can order paint.

I'm doing the same thing I'll check and post the numbers a little later