RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Hi all

Perhaps I should have clarified, yes I did order all the parts from Sarik. As I understand it these are exactly the same as Traplet would have supplied.

I feel quite lucky as I have received a full refund from my creditcard company so I had no qualms about ordering from Sarik.

I dont know the full ins and outs of what happened to Traplet but I would like to think Sarik were not party to what happened and we are "lucky" somebody is still supplying all these parts.

I do sympathise with others regarding lost orders / money.

Looking forward to the build.

Martin

Advert

Hi to all,

Apologies Colin, but this time I'm not sure I can agree with you. As Danny wrote, I wish I was as forgiving.

I would clearly give a 'newcomer' a fair chance to get started. But it seems a bit different to me in this case as both Traplet AND Sarik have the very same Board of Directors. Sarik Vacforming was a 'dormant' company owned by the same people for years.

I'm with Danny on this one. So, if they were a tiny bit honest, they could have take the Traplet order book with them along with the assets. Honouring the latest outstanding orders would have been a good way to introduce themselves in their 'new' business by creating a trusty relationship. This is probably just me, I'm possibly the only one to approach it that way, but to be honest, I'don't trust these guys anymore.

Sorry for that, Martin, but Sarik & Traplet are the same 'gang'.

Cheers

Chris

Reading through the latest posts about the cowl spinner mismatch, I took a look at mine and snapped a pic so everybody could see. Definitely a noticeable difference. I'm not so sure that it could be easily rectified? Perhaps a bit of material could be added to the cowl to achieve a nicely faired transition? While I personally enjoy scale models and the efforts builders go through to achieve scale perfection, I think I can live with this.

Percy, my thoughts were probably closer to the E-Flite P-90 or similar motor. But you are right that the P-60 would definitely be a contender. The P-110 I use in the WACO has a generous amount of power to pull the near 14lb model around with authority. By using a higher voltage set up in the WACO, current draw remains low and subsequently everything stays cool. Something I think would be a priority for a closed cowl model like the Fury.

Bryant Hawker Fury Mk I cowl and spinner

Hi all,

Danny is right, let's have some 'positive' suggestions. So, let's try that:

1/ I think to remember Martyn's intention was to produce some CAD files for the wooden bits. What is the situation with that proposal nowadays?

2/ would it be possible to ask for a price quote for a short kit with the interested 'laser-cutting' parties?

3/ some time ago, Dylan wrote on this blog that he 'finished' his CAD files for the Fury and that he was ready to start cutting. Is that a potential solution?

4/ it would be an advantage for all of us if the brass parts could be CNC/laser cut. Or am I dreaming again?

I hope at least I was in the 'constructing' region this time. And sorry to Danny and Colin for my previous post then.

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for your reply, Danny.

Apparently Dylan was 'calling up' with his post, don't you think?

But a deal with Belair or SLEC - especially if they come up w/ the hinges stuff - would be great as well (if they can have the CAD files?).

I guess with a grouped order of the brass parts - if they are the same thickness ie. 0,9 or 1mm - it wouldn't be that expensive. I guess that if you cover the brass with a flat medium dark (grey) vinyl you could even cut it with a 60 > 80 W laser cutter.

Could you take care of asking for the quotes?

Cheers & thanks again

Chris

I certainly do have the wooden parts all CADed up ready to go, if anyone is interested in the wooden cut parts, feel free to PM me, for obvious reasons I cannot supply a plan or moulded parts, and metal and fibre board parts are far better CNC cut rather than laser cut. If I can get a "batch" of interested parties then this can be reflected in any costs, I'm not sure what Traplet was charging for this pack, or what the new guys are yet, I will do a little digging. If the metal/other parts need CADing for the likes of SLEC to produce I can sort that if they are on the plan.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 01/09/2017 20:32:14

Edited By Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 01/09/2017 20:33:50

Posted by Percy Verance on 31/08/2017 17:15:33:

I'd look at the specs for the E Flite Power .60 motor Rem. More than enough grunt for the Fury. Will comfortably swing a 16 inch prop on 6 cells.......... 470kv and will fly a model up to 12lb weight.

I've acquired an EMax GT4030/06 motor for my quarter scale Percival Mew Gull. The KV is 420 rpm/volt and I intend to run it on 6 cells and something like a 16x10 prop though I may up the diameter and reduce the pitch. The Mew Gull has approx a 6' wing span and was originally aimed at a 60 size glow engine (presumably 2 stroke). I have a similar though slightly smaller motor for my DB 58" Tiger Moth and that flies with great authority on a 4S 4AH LiPo with a duration of 8 to 10 minutes if flown in a scale like manner.

I'd love to build a Fury but I'll have to sit this one out until I complete the Mew Gull and a slighter later version of the Fury - a Hurricane to say nothing of the Cirrus Moth kit lurking in my loft. I'll be in my 80s before I'll be able to tackle the Fury but I'm going to enjoy your collective endeavours from the sidelines.

Geoff

Colin

Good news re credit card refund.

As I previously posted, I did re order from Sarik, the plan, Woodpack, cowl and a magazine build article duly arrived, they did not seem to know anything about the 3 view drawing Traplet were supplying.

Regarding the cowl / spinner mismatch, I highlighted this, they are looking at remanufacturing a batch of spinners, uncertain of timeframe at the moment. They did comment that no previous feedback had been received about the cowl / spin mismatch but accepted the obvious fault.

Cheers

Martin

Well, two happy bunnies here at least, Colin.

I just received the credit card refund this morning. I do hope the other class-members will get their refund soon now also.

As I wrote before, I would be happy to support Dylan as well for the wood pack.

@ Danny > did you manage to get some quotes already for the wooden parts?

@ Tony > great little Dzus fasteners you printed. As I don't have a 3D printer, my intention is to cast them in PU.

I don't have the Fury plan printed yet, but could you give me the exact scale external diameter at 1:6, please?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Guys, I have asked SLEC to quote for the parts and I believe Martyn may also be talking to Leon at Belair. Dylan has drawn the cad files and is prepared to cut them for people but I don't know how much he is charging.

Ton did suggest Rob Bulk of RBC might be interested too, I will drop him a mail just so that everybody has a fair chance.

Out of interest can somebody let us know how much Sarik are charging for the laser cut parts? Thier website doesn't really seem to make sense to me.

Cheers

Danny

Danny

The full set price (Woodpack, cowl, plan and spinner was £205. A 10% discount was applied bring into the cost down to £185 +pp.

Sorry as I got the set I don't have a break down of individual items. From memory it's fairly similar to the Traplet price although we had a 20% discount.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi Danny et all,

If this can be of any help, here under is a copy/paste from Craig Hughes's reply to my former quote inquiry to Traplet >

[quote]
As requested.
Please find costings for Hawker Fury set:
SET3453 £140.06
Line drawing 2727 £9.50
Postage £19.50
Total £169.06
[end quote]

The SET3453 included the plans, wood pack, cowl & spinner. The drawing 2727 is the 3D view.

Of course the postage rate was higher due to the Belgian destination.

It seems that even with the 10% discount, Martin's rate of £185 is still around 30% more than my £140.

I don't remember the exact figures for the plans & accessories, but I 'guestimate' that the wood pack was situated around £90 > £100.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Martin Fane on 07/09/2017 09:27:31:

Danny

The full set price (Woodpack, cowl, plan and spinner was £205. A 10% discount was applied bring into the cost down to £185 +pp.

Sorry as I got the set I don't have a break down of individual items. From memory it's fairly similar to the Traplet price although we had a 20% discount.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi Martin we got a twenty percent discount on what was already a summer sale so more than that. A moot point in the end.....

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martyn,

Regarding the Sarik website, I'm afraid I can't help you out. I don't think there is a "Fury page" at all... the only thingies in their 'Shop' seems to be O-gauge stuff. Quite strange indeed... frown

@ Danny & Martin > if you have a look at my previous post, I wrote that I paid £140 for the set (plans, wood pack, cowl & spinner).

Cheers

Chris

Martyn

The Sarik website does not have links to the ex Traplet stuff, its in build apparently.

You have to contact them by email or phone to order the woodpacks etc.

This is what I was quoted:

Hawker Fury 1 (60" - Full Set)

Full set includes plan, lasercut woodpack, Spinner, Cowl

RRP: £205.98

SKU: SET3453

This was then discounted by 10%

I looked at my credit card refund for the Traplet order, I paid £157 for the Fury set (including 3 view Drawing and a 20% discount) so yes, Sarik are charging somewhat more.

cheers

Martin

Edited By Martin Fane on 07/09/2017 13:37:39

Edited By Martin Fane on 07/09/2017 13:38:04

Edited By Martin Fane on 07/09/2017 13:38:37