RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Using pull pull cables will be a lot lighter than push rods,especially at the rear.

I used the pull pull system on my PV-7,it's very quick and easy to do.Just make sure that the runs to the rear are snag free when fitting.

I used a carbon rod at the front with paxolin horns epoxied to the rods and a short control linkage to the servo.

Fishing trace wire is what I used with fishing ferrels to fix the line in place.At the front end I used an adjustable linkage to attach to the horns for easy adjustment.

I will try and get a few piccies up at the weekend to show the system I used if it helps.

I quite like the way that Dennis has done the elevator dummy cables. It means they can have more realistic end fittings. I used a nice technique on a Brian Taylor Hurricane for the rudder that had no visible cable crimps on the closed loop setup, I am sure we can adapt something similar for the Fury.

These look beautifully madebut pricey. Mick Reeves also does something similar. I will use silver soldered piano wire as per the plan I think. Small removable connectors are going to be key to a realistic look I reckon.

What have others used on bipes? Obviously a quality quicklink could be used at one end, perhaps the end that is under the top wing, and a smaller more scale fitting permanently fitted at the more visible locations?

Anyway food for thought.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/08/2017 11:58:34

On running closed loop to a pair of elevators, I just ran the ones I have on my DB Tiger Moth through snake outers from the servo to the fuselage exit. Very low friction and it works well.

Although I think the Hawker Fury is a beautiful aeroplane and I really like biplanes I'm afraid a scale model like this is well beyond my capabilities (and patience, probably ) I will, however, be watching all your efforts with interest.

Geoff.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 03/08/2017 20:41:07:

On running closed loop to a pair of elevators, I just ran the ones I have on my DB Tiger Moth through snake outers from the servo to the fuselage exit. Very low friction and it works well.

Although I think the Hawker Fury is a beautiful aeroplane and I really like biplanes I'm afraid a scale model like this is well beyond my capabilities (and patience, probably ) I will, however, be watching all your efforts with interest.

Geoff.

It's beyond mine allthough I'm ok on the patience but as has been said small bites gets the cake eaten

Hi.

I would like to have a bit of a look at a plan. Does anybody have a link to one available, especially as it doesn't look like I am going to get the one I paid for.

I think the one above points to a different version, or am I missing something.

Nev.

Hi John, the nose area wouldnt be hard to make as a built up area from blocks. I have access to an original cowl to use as a pattern if need be. It does appear Sarik will probably be selling them, for those that want to go that route.

I guess you would be thinking of a Navy variant John

I havent studied three views in anger but the rear gunners cockpit is the most significant difference between them.

I guess that would be the difference with the Cosford example?

Posted by fly-navy on 06/08/2017 00:13:12:

That would be good if the cowl is built up Danny.

Yep I would opt for the Navy Nimrod single seat version, Mk1 which had the unswept wing.

Is there one at Cosford Danny? I cannot recollect one there!

There is a Hawker Hart at Cosford

Hi to all,

@ Martian > following what I've found, the Cosford Hawker is a ex-Afghan Air Force Hind, not really a Hart... hopefully "to be restored in the former RAF deco scheme", as was written in the text I've encountered... ?

As far as I'm concerned, due to the TrapletGate and consequently flushing €207 down the drain, I hope there will be some way to get some wood - whatever balsa, ply or a combination - laser cut parts (from Martyn?), some steel or brass parts (from Danny?) & possibly whatever is needed to allow the Master Class participants to start this build on a confident & promising matter.

hawker_4316_06.jpg

My goal is still the Hardy K4316 example from the Belgian Air Force, but I guess I'll need to 'rebuild' it a bit first... surprise

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/08/2017 22:14:36

Posted by McG 6969 on 07/08/2017 21:50:34:

Hi to all,

@ Martian > following what I've found, the Cosford Hawker is a ex-Afghan Air Force Hind, not really a Hart... hopefully "to be restored in the former RAF deco scheme", as was written in the text I've encountered... ?

As far as I'm concerned, due to the TrapletGate and consequently flushing €207 down the drain, I hope there will be some way to get some wood - whatever balsa, ply or a combination - laser cut parts (from Martyn?), some steel or brass parts (from Danny?) & possibly whatever is needed to allow the Master Class participants to start this build on a confident & promising matter.

hawker_4316_06.jpg

My goal is still the Hardy K4316 example from the Belgian Air Force, but I guess I'll need to 'rebuild' it a bit first... surprise

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/08/2017 22:14:36

Hi Chris

Cosford museum site lists the Hart trainer on view and the Hind as not on view

Chris said " flushing €207 down the drain" but if this was a credit card or Paypal transaction then a refund should be obtainable from credit card or Paypal. ( there is extra protection for credit card transactions over 100 pound done in UK so it's worth checking further. It's the fact that the deal was actually done in UK that's important I think ) If it was a debit card deal then it depends on the card but I think Visa gives refunds in certain circumstances -worth being persistant with the bank & make a nuisance until they relent.

So let's hope Chris and others are not out of pocket eventually. Those who did actual cash transactions are worse off ( but why do a cash deal when you are not taking the goods home with you! Never a good idea as the trader might just lose the record of who bought what)

Further to what I posted earlier I draw your attention to the Money Saving Expert on Chargeback ( getting your money back on debit card purchases if the seller goes bust) which seems to say most debit cards should provide refunds for non delivery.

Also a section on credit cards refunds for over 100 pound purchases .- Section 75

As the transactions we are talking about happened in England I would expect the above to apply wherever the buyer lives. (hopefully! )

Edited By kc on 08/08/2017 15:46:57

My apologies then, Martian.

I found this picture of Cosford (hopefully it is Cosford!) showing an Afghan Hind and it appears to be in a 'public' part of the Museum.

hawker_hind_cos03.jpg

Sometimes it gets a bit fiddly to sort out all the info you can find on the net, especially when you're not even in the country were the info and/or pictures were gathered. Sorry again.

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for your concern, KC.

Yes, I paid with Paypal so I thought my payment would be 'eligible' for refund and opened a 'Dispute' with them.

First I was answered that it appeared to be a 'transfer' (as you make to friends or family) and NOT a 'payment' (for goods or services)... Of course 'transferring' isn't eligible for opening a case for a potential refund...

After having them on the phone in Luxembourg, I managed to explain and convince the help desk lady that Traplet Publications was NOT my aunt or girlfriend... Two days later, I was called back to receive the confirmation that my transaction was now listed under 'payments' and removed from the 'transfers' listing. I was asked some patience while the case was checked with the other party...

Anyway, Section 75 Protection is only valid between 2 actors (the seller and the buyer) apparently. In this case Paypal is acting as a broker and becomes a 'third' party... sjeesh...

Cheers & thanks again

Chris

I am but a humble aviation nerd, but I seem to understand that some much respected model flyers here are perhaps under the impression that a naval Nimrod is the same aircraft basically as a Fury. It's a different aircraft entirely - different span, much larger wing area, despite looking similar. You can't build a half accurate scale Nimrod from a Fury plan. Furthermore there were no two seat Nimrods with a rear gunner: the Hart/Hind variations were a very different aircraft again.

There is, of course, a strong family resemblance between Hawker biplanes with RR Kestrel engines, but Furies in all their interesting Spanish, Yugoslav, Persian, Norwegian and different High Speed variants were all still just Furies.

seems Chris is right about Paypal - see this section of Money Saving Expert

what really bad luck.

We should all note carefully about the last section there where it explains that the same situation applies to Amazon transactions where they are not actually sold and supplied direct by Amazon but thro Amazon yet supplied by a third party.! You may not be protected even with a credit card! We all need to be much more careful how we buy things..........

Chris it's cool ,

Martin I know all three are different I just thought if anyone lived near to Cosford it might be worth a close look particularly control cable end and flying wire ends etc I assumed there might be some similarities, I,m going as soon as I can