RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

I am not sure of all the facts but I heard that Traplet went into receivership this morning, so where that leaves us with regard the plans and parts we have ordered I do not know. I have not received any of my order yet.

As soon as i hear more I will let you know. It is shocking news, the modelling mag industry is having a hrad time indeed, but I didn't realise Traplet were so vulnerable.

Cheers

Danny

It certainly is bad news for all of us involved, but as Danny wrote, let's wait for some news and/or evolution.

I was the second in row to order the full pack a few hours after Danny did and didn't receive anything yet. No notification or confirmation that my order had been processed either.

I guess it's time to stick together if the worst should happen. We'll surely find a way to handle this.

My late grand'mum used to repeat this old Chinese saying quite often when things got 'disrupted' > "I was complaining having no shoes till I met someone with no feet"... ( translated 'freely' from French).

Cheers

Chris

I ordered my parts a week ago, Craig estimated then it would be 3 weeks to get everyone's parts out, I was No 8, so I wasn't expecting anything yet.

I think they sub out the manufacturing, so it will depend on their suppliers, cut parts, cowl etc. whether they're confident of getting paid or not as to whether they get made. Traplet I think print the plans.

Nev.

fPosted by Nev on 19/07/2017 22:52:00:

I think they sub out the manufacturing, so it will depend on their suppliers, cut parts, cowl etc. whether they're confident of getting paid or not as to whether they get made. Traplet I think print the plans.

Nev.

Hello Nev,

Funny enough a club mate of mine has just the other week received a Traplet kit.  He happened to ask them if they sub out the manufacturing and was told everything was done 100% in house.

I popped around and saw the kit and the quality of the wood and cutting was top notch. This looks like very sad news indeed.

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 20/07/2017 06:33:56

Craig I’m happy to be corrected. I wish everyone that works there well and hope they have a job to go back too.

On a selfish note. I’m sure, if allowed, they will try and fulfil any orders already placed but we will see.

Nev.

There is a Hawker Fury quarter scale build blog on RCSB. Although its not this particular model/plan, it has lots of interesting assembly photos. I am sure there will be ideas that we can steal as well.

You will need to become an RCSB member to view it but the basic level is free.

RCSB Hawker Fury 1

Lets just hope that Traplet get their orders fulfilled...

Edit- its 125 pages long.. very detailed

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/07/2017 09:30:17

Thanks Martyn Gwyn's build is awesome. For those that don't know Gwyn Avenell is definitely one of the finest scale modellers around. And competes at a world level in scale comps.

I know we all want to contact the guys at Traplet to find out about our orders, but the bottom line is these guys have possibly lost their livelihood and it is a very sad day. I appreciate we may have an issue with regards getting money back if the parts do not come through. But I am sure we can get through this and get the build up and running. If somebody has a cowl then please don't cut it. I will happily make copies. The plan we have a copy and we can sort something out. We can cut our own parts or contact Leon at Belair to see if he could help us.

So all in all things are better for us than for the guys at Traplet at the moment.

Cheers

Danny

Danny I have the plans ,3 view ,build article ,cowl and spinner all though as I have stated there is a size mismatch between cowl and spinner . I didn't order the parts set so I c an only assume that's why my order came through so quickly. If you need any of the bits for copying please let me know

Martian

I've been thinking over the past day or so about how to proceed given Traplet's demise. For me, there's only one way to go - onward and upward!

So, what have we got without Traplet. We can download the plan from one of the free sites, we have three-views available through other outlets, we have at least two aircraft we can look at for scale data, and there's a number of books with adequate pictures from which to make a model. So, to my mind, we still have a project.

We may have lost laser cut parts, a cowling (that may be too small) and a spinner (that may be the wrong shape, and possibly, in the wrong material). The latter two can be remade without too much issue and we could, maybe, if we wanted to, get some parts cut by another manufacturer. Personally, I'll go for a scratch build from the plan, to include parts, cowl and spinner. It'll be a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. The good side is that I'll not be limited to build what is there and will be able to change certain bits more easily.

Bottom line is that I am still 'IN' on this one, are you?

I am definitely in as well Andy. Personally, at this moment in time, I more concerned about the potential loss of money (I ordered two parts kits at the same time so I have double the risk exposure).

If we go it alone, then I am happy to get plans and 3v printed for anyone and shipped to you. (err- at your cost)

I already have a plan 'B' for this model which was suppressed by going the Traplet parts route.

However, I suggest that we leave it a month and see what happens with Traplet. There was a suggestion on another post that they will be obliged to fulfil any outstanding orders (by the receivers). I am not sure if that is the case but its worth waiting to find out.

Best wishes

Martyn