Colin’s Spanish Fury

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

58189240-6551-433f-89d0-d4f6f661f3c8.jpegAfter a week focused mostly on the Jackdaw I got back onto the Fury tonight and finished the wing joiners, got the dihedral spot on at 7/8”. Next step is the ailerons but the flying start turned into a head scratching exercise, so I have come inside to crib the build blogs. I’ve got tomorrow evening free to get on with it. e2c26ad7-db6a-4dda-b80e-4bc85aa46794.jpeg

er..... without looking at the plan I am not sure it is the right profile for an aileron leading edge, it was designed for the wing leading edges. But if it fits then great

108.jpg

The sharp lower aileron leading edge hangs in the airflow to create drag, to induce yaw in the up-going aileron.

122.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 12/07/2019 22:05:18

Oh dear! I wondered why it was different from the plan, I thought you had improved it, seems to have been a slight misunderstanding in the email exchange with Martian! I’ll have a think about whether anything needs to be done about it, not too difficult, although I doubt if it will makes much difference.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 12/07/2019 22:35:22

Looking at the ailerons again, it wouldn’t be hard to correct the profile, but I will leave things as they are. Visually, the shroud means that you can’t see the leading edge from above and I can’t imagine why anyone would wish to stare at the underside when the plane isn’t exact scale anyway. Also I think aerodynamically the difference will be negligible, adverse yaw will be countered by differential I hope and a bit of CAR may not hurt. Remarkable though that the dimensions of Danny’s widget (if not the profile) are spot on for the leading edges of the ailerons as well as for the wings! Now that I know what it is really for, I had better do the wings as well before I let Danny have it back. (Possession being nine tenths of the law etc, etc)!

c71e8c03-8565-427b-8db4-88bfdcd8f584.jpeg610c2f83-0097-4d8c-96bd-f22bede87d67.jpegI finished off sanding all of the wing leading edges tonight. Had a bit of a problem when I came to the starboard lower wing because I had started to shape this before Danny lent me the widget and got it wrong. It became obvious immediately that I had taken too much off. The only solution was to cut the leading edge off and make a new one. It didn’t take long, so I can return Danny’s very handy gadget, that saved me a lot of time and gave me a much more 180485ae-819a-459c-8f9e-a745454e80b5.jpegaccurate shape than I would have otherwise. Thank you Danny, I will return it asap. There is the slight issue of having used it over-enthusiastically on the ailerons as well! However I am sure that I can live with it. The photos show current state of play, the airframe is fundamentally complete, but still loads to do.

• 2 months later...

After the various events of the last few weeks, not to add my son’s wedding on Friday, I have managed to get sufficiently up to date to start working on the Fury again. I have spent this evening cutting and fitting the fibre-glass aileron hinges. One or two problems to overcome but should be ok. I hope to make further progress tomorrow.

After a hectic few days with son’s wedding etc I got back into the shed tonight nearly a week late determined to make some progress with the aileron hinges. I am using the fibre glass hinges with. 0.012” carbon fibre rod running straight through. 4d5e7d9e-d124-4b90-a995-5b802a32fa63.jpeg It is a bit tricky, and I didn’t get very far. I think I’m on the right track though.