New site dislikes

Phil McCavity

You have always been able to edit a quote, just as you've always been able to view other peoples photos unless they're marked as private.  Nothing new or any different to most other sites there.

Similarly, if a post is quoted that quote remains as-is regardles of whether the original is edited or deleted.

Edited by Bob Cotsford

Advert

Iqon, you'd be surprised how many have made similar comments and then come back a couple of days later to say how much they are enjoying it after a little exploration.  Please feel free to look at the simple guides that some of the users have produced.

If you're getting lost, either the mods or other helpful members will happily point you in the right direction.

48 minutes ago, Tim Ballinger said:

Not sure there would be an easy fix for that so I think you just have to trust forum members or loose the ability to quote. Think I would go with trust on that one. ?

Being able to edit quotes is a very useful feature, as it allows you zone in on a particular part of the quote.

50 minutes ago, Tim Ballinger said:

Wayne, never occurred to me you could edit a quote. You certainly managed to turn my words into amusing gobbledegook without much hassle ! ?

It was gobbledegook before he touched it ?

Like I've done here for example.

Your original post remains unedited, so there's no doubt about who said what.

2 minutes ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Plenty of How To's in the tutorial bit Denis, most of the stuff that bewilders you, you will never need.

Nothing bewildering, plenty lost. same old same old.  google my friend , easiest way to find owt.

1 hour ago, Gary Manuel said:

Being able to edit quotes is a very useful feature, as it allows you zone in on a particular part of the quote.

It was gobbledegook before he touched it ?

Like I've done here for example.

Your original post remains unedited, so there's no doubt about who said what.

I only use the edit feature to pick out relevant bits, as you say. And yes trust is a big part of the whole thing, lucky we are a bunch of Good eggs. ?

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
Said God Eggs . lol
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

...which are fairly strict on this forum.  Gary's is about as far as it goes but please don't push the boundaries chaps.

Sorry. I just picked a post, split it and typed the first thing that came into my head to make the point about editting.

No offense intended.

7 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

I think the point being made is that the old forum didn't display what you was doing with your images in real time on an open activity log which was viewable by non members, you had to log in then go to albums to view any new uploads. As it is now a member could upload a few images which include their wife, young son or daughter and decide later that they'd rather not have them showing on the net with the risk of being lifted and added to some deviants "Private" gallery to be shared amongst their sickening and illegal groups. Taking away those extra steps increases that risk.

I'm acutely conscious of this and take obsessive care if uploading images to anywhere on the net.

I think you're making up facts to fit your argument Mr McCavity. Pop over to the Model Engineer forum. Go to any thread and chose any poster. Click on his "photos" link and you're straight in to see all his albums. No need to be logged in. It ever was thus on our old version too. 

Screenshot_20210220-201220.thumb.jpg.b7b3f347b1f9104c0bc0f973b97f1999.jpg

If you're in the habit of uploading photos of family that you don't want anyone else to see, you're on the wrong forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Chris but I didn't intentionally make up anything to fit my statement, I posted what I believed to be true but I was clearly and demonstrably mistaken so I hold my hands up and happily stand corrected. Your implication that I did so on purpose is unjustified. I'm not the first on here to get something wrong and I won't be the last.

No I'm not in the habit of uploading family photos as my reply clearly implied, I was giving an example of where someone could be caught out innocently posting images to their albums which include their young offspring, wives, girlfriends, etc holding the model as I've seen before on here but then decide that they'd rather not because of the scenario I gave. If they're not worried about that then fine but if they are then there's no harm in pointing it out. Or is there?

The 'fact' you have supplied that you can just click on the album of a random user without even being a member does however serve to show that members should give some thought to the images they upload.

P.s- One of the things I really DO like on the new forum is the ' who's looked at your account recently' facility, that's always interesting.

Edited by Phil McCavity
  • Sad 1

My profiles open, I wrote a bit about myself, anyone is welcome to read it, and some have. On the old forum I did the same, a number of people messaged me, same kind of work, grew up in same area, shared interests other than modelling, I made a few friends via this forum, met up with them at shows and fly ins, this thread makes little sense to me.