New!! BMFA Question Time Thursday 25th February @ 7.30pm

Next Thursday, the 25th of February at 19:30 via Zoom, the BMFA will be holding our very first 'Question Time' webinar! It's your perfect opportunity to quiz our expert team about all things BMFA!

Would you like to know how many people hold an Achievement Scheme B Certificate?

Maybe you'd like to ask about our insurance cover?

How about the CAA and Article 16?

Any questions about developments at BMFA Buckminster?

Or, maybe your burning question is what type of cake does our Office Manager, Linda prefer on a Wednesday afternoon?

The BMFA's Chairman, CEO, Development Officer and Club Support Officer will also be joined by guest panellists from the CAA and the BMFA's insurance brokers... it really is the perfect opportunity to ask that question you've always wanted to know the answer to!

Please register your place at this enjoyable and informative webinar by clicking on the link below, all questions must be submitted in advance via the Questions & Comments section on the registration form.

Click here to register

We look forward to seeing you next Thursday for our very first BMFA Question Time.

BMFA Question Time V1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I watched the Youtube showing last night and if you haven't done so already, it's well worth spending an hour and a half of your time to do so.

I found the CAA's stance coming over very well, given that they are tasked with following the DFT's lead as the government department that has got us as model flyers embroiled in this debacle in the first place. Their concern about proportionality was encouraging, and by the sound of it we can expect further advantageous 'proportionality' to come. I got the impression that the CAA shares many of our frustrations regarding our involvement with registration, and just maybe if it was left entirely up to them rather than government, the situation might well be different. However, we are where we are.

Some good questions that were answered as fully as the panel were able, so well done all.

Any chance of streaming live on youtube rather than just on Zoom so questions can be seen by the panel in the comments and answered if appropriate, or if time allows?

Edited by Cuban8

Here is the video to save people having to search for it...

For anyone interested in the "Why is my OpID 19 characters long?" question, watch from the start (unsurprisingly it was Q1) and also fast forward to around the 30 min mark when there is another question around EU travel and further discussion on compliance with EU stds.

There is also a good section on the Alauda Airspeeder accident, the AAIB report and it's future implications at ~38 mins. The CAA response was partially reassuring, but I'm still not really sure how much power the CAA have to reject an AAIB recommendation. It all sounds a bit woolly.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

I enjoyed the Question time video myself, who else has watched it, and your opinions please.

I watched the webinar, thought it was very encouraging particularly with the pragmatic and sensible views from the CAA guy (Rob Buckley?). With assistance from Dave Phipps we have a good chance of proportionate responses to any DfT or AAIB 'silliness'.

However I'm still somewhat concerned about possible Electronic Conspicuity requirements and the potential fallout from the Alauda incident (the project seemed very amateurish and was an accident waiting to happen).

Well worth watching.

3 hours ago, i12fly said:

......particularly with the pragmatic and sensible views from the CAA guy (Rob Buckley?).

The CAA guy was Kevin Woolsey. He sounds like the person we need on our side.

I've changed my preconceived opinion about "The CAA" after watching this. The reason for all this nonsense is becoming clearer to me now.

• Like 2

I'm pleased that things seem to be a bit more positive and forgive me if I bring a great deal of ignorance to the matter of the nineteen digit registration which British aeromodellers now have to put on to their models but the CAA representative said that the new number was a European requirement.

I retired to rural France in 2015 and for the last couple of years we have had to register each one of our models and display a registration number on them. However, our registration numbers are only ten digits long, twelve if you count the dashes. I am not aware that anything has changed and today I spent the whole day working at the flying field with five other members of the committee installing a solar panel and carrying out general maintenance.

No-one said anything about it.

Number.JPG

Having been on the webinar and submitted a question I thought it was very good and agree the CAA participation worthy. I think such sessions very useful and informative and when involving the CAA can be beneficial to all developing relationships and future mutual support. I suspect there were still many questions to answer and follow on sessions would be good.

• Like 1