X9d+ upgrading.

Viv Letherby

I've just upgraded my Taranis X9d+ to version 2.2.4. It works o.k. but I get a wrong SD card warning, I've downloaded V0035 sdcard, and unzipped it. It's in my downloads folder. When I try to load it to companion it can't find the folder! what is going wrong?  If I can sort this with your help, do I need to upgrade the receivers?

Copy the SD card contents to the SD card for your Taranis using file explorer, though unless you are updating from OpenTX version 1.9 you can probably get away with just overwriting the opentx.sdcard.version file.  Have you got the right SD contents though?  V0021 is what I see for the v2.2.4 image here.   V0035 is the card image for OpenTX 2.3.11.

ps - only copy the contents of the SD card image, it's easy to end up creating a folder called 'SDcard' on your SD card!

Edited by Bob Cotsford

2 hours ago, Brian Lambert said:

Latest open TX is version 2.3.11 probably best to go for that one.

That's not 100% correct. Because of the way OpenTX is iterated the best practice is to update your model file in increments - this will ensur you have the best chance of having fully working setups when you get to the other side. Here is how I did it when going from 2.0 to 2.3 by OpenTX guru (this is Mike Shellim's method) - it worked flawlessly despite the fact I have quite a few very complex setups, none of them needed tweaking afterwards...

1. Backup your model files and firmware (existing setup) to your PC
  2. Download and install the next incremental version of Companion (i.e. if you are on 2.0, download 2.1)
  3. Open your old model file in the new Companion, then save it with a diff name (i.e. "models 21.otx" for OpenTX 2.1)
  4. Download the next version of Companion, then do the same until you get to the most up to date iteration (at the moment that is 2.3.x)
  5. Connect your TX and update the firmware to the very latest production version
  6. Upload the model file that has been converted through the multiple versions of Companion to the Tx
  7. Update the SD card with the SD card contents for the latest version of OTX (plus your custom images/sound files etc)

I admit this is a bit of a pain (updating is probably my least favourite bit of OpenTX, the process is not slick and integrated; I guess that's just a reflection of it being authored by Open source afficionados with high degree of technical skills), but it will work - try it and see.

Edited by MattyB

Hi Matty. "Thanks for the steps you've advised; The problem I'm having is going from 2.1 to 2.2. - I've done the transmitter firmware. The SD card is proving problematic. I can't get Companion 2.2 to load the SD card contents, the message I get is "can't extract radio\radio.bin" even if I try to load zip file, unzipped file, or unzipped file contents. I also have received a message destination file is same as source file.

Edited by Viv Letherby

The sd card is in my radio and is full of the old files from Open Tx 2.1.. Allthough there are only 3 models in that directory, when I have 6 models on the radio! The sdcard V0021 zipfile is always put in my radio file on the C:\ drive and unzipped there. When I try to load it to Companion is where I fail.  Companion reports directory not found.

As Bob says you have to transfer the files from your C:\ drive onto the SD card.

Connect the USB to your Taranis.

In file explorer these two appear.

image.png.34b4b5782521680446b9e765dd21a4b9.png

In my case USB Drive (E:) is the SD card.

with these contents

image.png.2816f4c9aa939a14f5c43503c035c5bb.png

Copy and paste or drag and drop the files from C:\ into the above.

Did you use the Companion to back up your models to the computer?

Did you copy the files from your SD card to your computer before formatting the SD card and copying the new version. 

If you did neither, then you've lost everything. If you didn't have a copy of the BMP files already stored then you will have lost those, as Companion does not save them.

The worst thing to do was reformat your SD card. Pity you did not follow the instructions PatMc posted.

Edited by Andy48

I thought I had several backups of my SD card but now when I look at them. the content is all computer code and I don't Know what to do with it. I've tried to load the whole card to Companion 2.1 but can't.

I suppose I can reinstall all my model settings into 2.2 manually but where can I find the previously automatically loaded BMP files?

Edited by Viv Letherby
extra text

I suspect that you may have used 'backup radio to file' or something like that, in which case what you backed up will be the firmware, not the SD card.  All the 'stock' images are on the SD card image that you download from the OpenTX site.  Here's what was in v0026, it's the earliest I can find on my PC

image.thumb.png.4f86a66a0f277354e215f6ec2880584e.png