X9d+ upgrading.

Viv Letherby

How odd!  I've just tried downloading various X9 SD card images from the OpenTX site and non of them contain any BMPs in the Image folder!  Horus SD cards still contain them, but not Taranis models.  I'll try pasting my Image folder from my Taranis SD card folder, I still have 2.2 installed so lets see how that works ?

Images.zip185.76 kB · 2 downloads

That . worked fine I've goy my images back Thank You
I don't Know how but after loading V0021 to my formatted SD card and inserting the images you sent me and putting the sd card in the Tx my model settings came back!!!  

10 minutes ago, Viv Letherby said:

If it was me I'd update your TX to the latest version, 3.11, as your 2.2.4 is still 3 years or so out of date.

Yes but I thought it best to go one re lease at a time. I've still cocked it up.

Ah, missed that bit! If you update regularly, have a photographic memory or keep notes then updating isn't overly complex.  Unfortunately I have a mind like a sieve so have often managed to overwrite my models folder with older versions or similar basic errors.  The SD card update is probably the area causing more grey hairs than anything else with OpenTX, so unless going between major releases (eg 2.1 to 2.2 or 2.2 to 2.3) it's easiest to just change the version file (unless the release notes indicate otherwise).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob Cotsford said:

On the Taranis isn't there an option under model selection for backup to SD card?  If I remember I'll dig mine out in the morning and check.

Bob,

That's not an option that I have come across but I am always willing to learn.

What I have noticed is that the model memory is persistent within the Taranis even when the OpenTx software is upgraded. I gave myself a fright by upgrading and was very relieved that the models and settings were there afterwards. ?

I don't use my Taranis very often now so some things get lost in the general brain fog.  IIRC the Taranis holds model setups in it's flash memory so Companion has the option to backup the radio to a file on your PC which you don't get with the Horus transmitters, as well as the usual option to save models and settings.  Horuses (Horii?) store everything of consequence on the SD card so you don't get the option to backup the radio to file or to write to the transmitter from a backup file.  You just get the option to read and write firmware or to save or load models and settings on file.

If you go into the model selection screen (short press Menu), place the cursor on a model then long press Ent you will get options including Select Model, Copy Model and Backup Model.  This last one makes a copy of that model on your SD card.  If you want to restore a backed-up model then you select an empty model memory, press enter and select Restore.  This will list the backups available on the SD card.

2 hours ago, Viv Letherby said:

Eary Bird.

So when you found the models were still there after upgrading, did you manage to save them to the SDcard?

No I didn't know I could. I assumed as my models and settings were in Companion then that was the only way. 

22 minutes ago, Viv Letherby said:

If you go into the version screen menu long press into Radio setup 4 short presses on Page, there is the 'EEprom Backup' and Factory reset!

I did not know that either. ??

I read posts to see if I can help but in the process I almost always learn something new. 

You are welcome, always pleased to help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Viv Letherby said:

Yes it's quite a good way to pass time better than the TV.

If you can teach me how to include the previous post into a reply then I will have learned something today as well.

Click on the Quote word and as if by magic it appears.

image.thumb.png.ef295da03f5f40c51bdcea32f0c54254.png

Quote 1

On 11/03/2021 at 14:16, Viv Letherby said:

I've just upgraded my Taranis X9d+ to version 2.2.4. It works o.k. but I get a wrong SD card warning, I've downloaded V0035 sdcard, and unzipped it. It's in my downloads folder. When I try to load it to companion it can't find the folder! what is going wrong?  If I can sort this with your help, do I need to upgrade the receivers?

Quote 2

On 12/03/2021 at 13:00, EarlyBird said:

Is this because the SD card is not in the correct format and needs reformatting?

FAT32 I think.

That caught me out!

Easy when you know how. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a Taranis X9D+ on OpenTX 2.1,9 and the XJT version is build 151223.frk. I've not kept up to date with the latest developments due to other activities having to take precedence. I want to update to the latest versions that will run ok on my TX. I recon the latest (last) XJT firmware is V2.1.0. Can this be flashed to the TX and RX's in one go? As far as OpenTx is concerned, I was going to do it as previously described in major version steps i.e. 2.1.9 to 2.2.4, then to 2.3.X. I've installed 2.2.4 on the PC and converted the existing models to the .otx format and checked they work as I would expect in simulation mode. Now before I upgrade my TX to OpenTx 2.2.4 should I upgrade the XJT firmware or leave that until I complete the OpenTx upgrade steps?

I would only complete one step at a time fully testing before going onto the next step

You don't need to do the intermediate steps when updating OpenTX, go straight to 2.3.11 for the transmitter, bootloader and the Companion.

You will find quite a difference in 2.3 from 2.1, from memory, telemetry needs to be redone.

Once you have upgraded OpenTx, then you can update the FrSky XJT module to V2.1.0, and after that you will need to update all your receivers. Do remember to use LBT firmware for both the tx and all your rx.

You will need to swat up on the documentation, a lot has changed over the years from 2.1. Bit out of date now, but see here:

OpenTX documentation 2.3

BTW the wrong SD card warning mentioned above DOES NOT mean reformatting the card. Indeed, that's the worst possible thing to do! Its just the version number on the SD card and can be updated in seconds if needed without changing any of the model data on the card. Again this is discussed in the documentation above.

Edited by Andy48

Thanks Andy48. I have the documentation. I don't need to worry about the telemetry as I have none in the models I use - they are quite basic fortunately. I'm re-familiarising myself with the whole process at the moment but will go ahead with the 2.3.11. 

I understand the relevance of the SD card version text.

• Like 1