Mills 0.75 compression screw.

Martin  McIntosh

• 2 months later...
Advert

Martin, as a functional alternative. If you want original, look elsewhere.

But all a competent lathe owner needs is a hard steel 4 BA bolt ( that is a bit of good steel with a thread that goes most of the way to the head, (but leaves an overlong shoulder of uncut steel). Then is just a question of you supplying (or specifying) the length of the threaded section, and how far above the thread you want the hole drilled for the tommy bar.

And a bit of a clue as to what the bottom looks like where it goes into the contra-piston.

From memory, 30° taper, bottom about half diameter? 2mm in BA. Distant memory, did the conta-piston have an indent in the centre? Hence a taper.

An owner of this compression screw can supply?

Before you ask, I am a lathe hacker. I need stuff in front of my eyes to cognate.

But there are competent users on this forum. There is or was a bloke, Scottish?, who offered engineering services.

You might want to open the thread up to a wider audience.

You don't need a lathe. I made a replacement compression screw for a PAW 55 by taking a longish 4BA screw and with a part of the threaded end in a drill. I reduced the head and some of the shank with a file until it was thin enough to bend. I bent the thinned end over at a jaunty angle and job done.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried making my own (have a lathe) but don`t have hardened steel. Also, the end needs to be like a grub screw to provide sufficient contact pressure otherwise it unscrews in flight. The motor in question is fine with the correct screw from my other 0.75. I do have a PAW 55 and wondered if they have the same thread. Must try it some time.

The reason I made a replacement screw was that the originally one supplied kept coming loose and it didn't have enough thread to allow a locking lever which I made from a sliver of steel sheet. This kept it tight. I suspect that the thread in the ali head had worn loose because of the amount of running it had had and not because it didn't have the a grub screw end which the original one didn't either. When it was new this wasn't a problem.

Edited by Andy Stephenson

The fact the compression screw is threaded through the ally head suggests you shouldn't use a hardened screw which will wear the thread in the head. Indeed a softer steel is likely to locally distort on the face of the hard contra piston which will increase the contact area so resist any tendency to unscrew when running.    

No need for any special treatment for the end of the comp screw . The Mills contra-piston is hard iron and will not be affected by the screw . I have a few mills and all have just normal screw ends ( not polished ground etc ) . If Contra-piston is a good fit it wont come undone in flight. 

The top of the screw is just like a normal  4 BA screw with an untapped part approx 4mm long . This is drilled and tapped to accept what looks like a 8 BA screw with a long plain shank. All simple stuff and is easy to make . Once made it can be heated and cooled in oil to get a nice blued effect as the original had. The small stop post is again just a short threaded  8 BA  screw with a plain shank .

A nicer looking comp screw can easily be made from a 4 BA cap screw then bent as per picture 

124_2548.JPG

• Like 1