spektrum dx6i transmitter battery contacts

osprey6500

Hi all started this hobby a few yrs ago then paused due to divorce decided to start again and found like a fool id left the batteries in the transmitter and the contacts are badly corroded (way past cleaning)  can i get new contacts or the whole back off the unit or anyone got a fix for this

cheers

Fitting a rechargeable pack by soldering or plugging in  might solve the problem if there is no further corrosion.   I think that someone - probably Alex Whittaker- did an article in RCME which covered this for a DX6i a few years back. 

I have 2 dx6i tx. Early on I converted them to rechargeables due to not liking the connectors possibly weakening whilst flying and losing signal. 5 rechargeable (2000mah) eneloop batteries at 1.2v make up the 6v.   3 are in the battery bay and two are hot glued inside the case in the hand grips (cheeks?). Wired up correctly they will work for ages.  Hopefully the pc board hasn't been destroyed.  Make sure they are wired up properly and the charger pin is the correct polarity.   Sorry to hear about the divorce, we had our 50th last week. Amazed that I have so much stamina!!!

Edited by Bob Bertram
Additional wording

Osprey6500

I still use two DX6i (with dry cells) but I do agree you will have to check first that your Tx actually works by connecting a 6V battery directly on to the + & - wires assuming you still have something that can be 'bound' and will respond to transmitter commands.

Only if the DX6i proves to work normally would it be worth organising some sort of rechargeable battery pack layout.   

You could clean and then re-nickel plate the contacts. Very easy job and plenty of " how to" bids on YouTube. First check that corrosion hasn't crept up the wires too the switch and board like the old "black wire corrosion" we had with nicad  batteries. Better still solder in a welded pack with a plug for removal as suggested earlier in thread.

The main problem , once you have plated one thing will be" what else can I plate ?" 

Edited by Engine Doctor

The DX6i is a pretty old set now, and they have a reputation for decidedly average physical quality - the pots in particular are not the best and I have seen 2 or 3 that have failed in use causing incidents. It might be best to consider this a decent time to update and upgrade - the problem is if you have DSM2 RXs a current Spektrum TX won’t work for you, so you’d need to go for a multiprotocol radio like one of the Radiomaster or Jumper sets.

More info elsewhere in this forum (links below), but well worth considering IMO, especially given a new RM TX12 or Jumper T-Lite is only ~£80 and a new 4in1 based TX16S around £130.

Edited by MattyB

17 hours ago, DaveyP said:

If you have a DX6i you probably have dsmx receivers so an upgrade isn't too difficult, I have and use a DX6i and a DX8.

DX6i  came in 3 versions

first ones were DSM2 only

second were DSM2 and DSMX ( marked with X on case )

later ones were DSMX only to comply with EC new rules and cannot be used with Rx that are DSM2 only.   They also have X on case.   ( my own DX6i is this type and cannot be switched to DSM2 so I cannot use DSM2 Rx )

Genuine Spektrum Rx that are sold now can be used with DSM2 or DSMX Tx ( it's just the DSM2 Transmitter could not be imported into  EC after a certain date.   Existing ones can still be used.  )   Data sheet with new Rx shows the settings to be used for each type of Tx.

So you should not have any problem unless you replace Tx with another.

• Like 1