Bristol F2B by Flair

J D 8

Thanks JD, did see the construction method on the other link I posted yesterday so will now see if I can break the glue joint at the base of the fin.

Have you taken up some of the mods I have suggested as the 6BA cap screws makes assembly so much easier?

Hi Andy, With the way my Bristol has been built there is no need to modify fixings [an idea I will use on other aircraft] 

The wings come off as "cell's" like Paul's Tigermoth in previous post.

So only 4 screws fit the wings on to the center sections which remain on the fuselage via carbon tube dowels.  Downside of this is likely extra weight. Mine is 14-15 lbs, do you know what yours weighs?   Just about ready for a flight test when weather allows.

BRISTOL fighter.JPG

• Like 3

Made another measurement which I think was 8lb 4oz so yours JD is a little on the heavy side. Required very little lead up front along side the Laser 75 so perhaps the original builder did a good job of keeping the back end free of any significant weight.

A nice day here yesterday with little wind so took the Bristol for i's maiden [ for me anyway] I had thought it had flown before but now not so sure. Knew it to be a bit of a porker but have to say more of a Porky Pig [ as in pig to fly ]

Our strip has a slight slope and what wind there was required us to take off up it, bit of a wiggle as I started off but soon had it running straight. I was just thinking of pulling the plug on the protracted run when wheels had air visible beneath and I kept going, just cleared the electric fence at about ten foot up and it seemed that was about as high as it wanted to go flying over the rough beyond.  One of the chaps said "Looks like John is going to visit the army" who had a encampment about 1/4 of a mile away.[ We fly on a WW2 airfield still used by military]  I was about to dump it and eased off the tad of up I was holding when it gained a bit of speed and started a very slow climb. 

With a bit of space beneath a very gentle turn brought it back over the field. All this time I had been holding in a load of left aileron. Did four circuits at hundred foot or so trying to trim but not enough movement. Throttled back some[ SC91 had been going flat out until now and had not missed a beat, just as well] and came in on a tidy enough approach until was just a foot off the ground but as I came back on the power it dropped dug the nose in and flipped over [ no damage ]

Will come back with my thoughts on the issues but Action Man pilot said no way he was taking it up again.😁

Test pilot.JPG

Edited by J D 8
correction
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well done JD, at least its one piece!. Do you now have a weight loss plan for the model or will it be a bigger engine?

Think others have said the model needs a power on approach as its very draggy with all that rigging and a large wing.

May have to wait to the winter to fly my airframe as our strip is North/South and yet to see the winds come round in that direction for the last few months.

For a start I recon CG is to far forward on mine and the 130mm from leading edge as per instruction sheet is more on the money.

The wanting to bank right is caused by the twist/warp in the port upper wing as can be seen  in pic. On a full size or exact scale Fb2 you would sort this with rigging adjustment. However Flair model wings are of a model type that are stiff/strong/thick enough not to need rigging wires and getting a twist out is not easy.

As for the weight I can prize some of the lead ingots from the bottom of the cowl and perhaps a better prop may give more thrust. Wishful thinking perhaps and pulling all the lead out for a big lump may be better. [a Laser 80 is what Jon Laser engines says for these] so yours should be good. 

Wind levels have been bad this year, if can sort it things may be better later in the year but Engine problems with my Major Mannock have now taken priority.         

John.  

B8.JPG

• Like 1

hi guys ,I’m enjoying this thread ,at the moment I’m building the flair Bristol fighter ,fuselage is more or less done ,and about to start the wings ,I would like to make both wings removable leaving the centre section on ,am still studying the best approach for this ..

That’s a good point ,generally I build the complete model firstly with servos ,engine etc and before everything is finalised I can lose a bit here and there or shift heavier stuff in a direction that helps CG ….the diagonals were as per the plan ,but will be easy to Dremel out if need be …..

wings are a lot of work 😳

D81D61EE-C354-4B87-8339-65507A95E188.jpeg

38FDA906-7A6C-4DC2-9890-7AA01D5AD780.jpeg

On 18/08/2023 at 21:48, jeff2wings said:

You could start by leaving out those diagonals in the tailplane and rudder, not really necessary at all.

Would be a shame to remove the diagonals as they look very nice. Just had a look at my tailplane and its as per the original plan and certainly I don't have a rear weight issue using only a Laser 75 up front.

• Like 1

I agree Andy ….and I will have an os 90 four stroke up front 😜…..thanks Denis I will get on to dbsport and scale …...another question on availability for 

wheels ….the ones recommended on the flair plan say 127 MM (w30133) palmer cord ….I can’t find those anywhere ?