Balsa Dust and breathing issues

Robert Parker

Hi All,

It says it all in the title really,.

Having been a keen modeller/builder for 30 years, I have noticed for a while that I start coughing when sanding sawing balsa or ply, for the past few years I have been wearing disposable PPP3 grade dust masks when carrying out these tasks.

Can anyone recommend a suitable non-disposable mask with filters and where they can be sourced, there seems to be so .

I have been taking a rest from building as my chest is a little worse.

Regards

Robert

Advert

I also get some relatively slight effects when sanding/cutting balsa etc, so I checked the Axminster link (I've bought tools from them in the past and found them a reliable company).  Unfortunately, as bearded spectacle wearer, some of the masks are unsuitable but perhaps better than nothing.  I usually wear prescription safety glasses in the workshop and I don't seem to get any eye irritation problems so nose/mouth protection would be adequate.

It's certainly something I should consider.

Geoff

For some time I have used this 3M vapour mask also from Screwfix, in fact they stock several similar masks. It is light, comfortable and very effective. I also used it when topping my fields as I suffer from hay fever. Result;- no hay fever, even if I did look a bit weird driving my tractor wearing a mask! Also gives protection against Cyano fumes as well. ?

Perhaps you should consider making an appointment with your GP Robert, to check out your chest, can't be too careful?

Sanding with a mask is okay, but the biggest problem I find is that the dust, being so light, stays in suspension for days. It continues to settle out on every surface, and any activity sends it up into the air again. The answer would appear to do all sanding outdoors, but my model building usually takes place in the winter months leaving the summer free to fly ( or crash) them.