Laser 100 with supertigre carb

Glenn Stevenson

HI, I picked up a Laser 100 with what appears to be a super tigre carb, ive been trying to get it to tickover but it just splutters to a stop on low throttle openings when the glow starter is removed. Tried umpteen settings of low and high needles but no joy. I remember someone saying that the carb has rubber seal that doesnt last long.

Would the newer purple or black carbs work?

Glenn

20210729_135424.jpg

Advert

Is the spray bar in the right way round? folk like to turn them round for some reason and yours looks like it could be in backwards. The other favourite is when the slow run needle misses its hole in the spray bar and just pokes out the side doing nothing. 

Also, what prop, plug, fuel, and top end rpm are you seeing? Its possible the engine itself needs some love. 

14 hours ago, Glenn Stevenson said:

Prop is 14*6, OS 8 plug (new one),  Revs well, flew it with high tickover and it performed very well. 

Just pulled the carb off and needle was outside the spray bar, try again when the neighbours have gone to bed!

The spraybar slot is facing the inlet port so that looks ok.

As already mentioned 14x6 is a bit small. 14x7 is the normal minimum i would recommend but its not a big deal in this instance. Again, the OS F plug is the way to go. 

A wonkey needle is likely to be your issue, its pretty common as its easy to do. The spray bar is always a pain as some (a minority) were manufactured 180 degrees opposed to the standard ones. Generally inlet nipples pointing backwards means its in the wrong way round. 

The spraybar has its opening facing directly towards the inlet valve, I cant imagine it would work very well facing the outside of the carb.

It is very easy to miss the hole when the needle is removed and replaced, however it was inserted incorrectly when I bought the engine but did not examine it closely.

Glenn