Veron The Nipper

This was my first introduction into aero modelling way back when, she was powered by a .049 DC Wasp and was way to quick for me so my dad used to fly her. He hated it as it as it was too quick for him too! I would love to have something in my hanger of similar size and style, electric of course.

If I remember, she has solid sheeted wings and tail feathers so would be nice and quick to build.

Does anyone have memories of The Nipper? and having little building experience where would one start?

nipper.PNG

Advert

We had a Veron Nipper that my Dad had originally given to my much older cousin as a kit.  He gave the completed model to my brother some years later, with an ED Bee in it. 

Dad was concerned about the engine noise at our local recreation ground, so he put a silenced ED Cadet in it, which was sideport, not rear drum induction, so a fairly gutless engine.
To make matters worse, the lines I had were heavyweight Laystrate...

We did glue the pieces of the resulting crash back together, but I don't remember it having another outing, as it was quite oil soaked.

• Like 1

Did veron do a cl model called "colt" ?

I cannot remember the models name but is was a flat bottom wing with an aerofoil section top of wing, in solid balsa. The wing was more or less rectangular but with curved tip racking back slightly at the trailing edge, at the tip.

The fuz was from solid block ready shaped being curved upper deck, voided for lightness.

I flew it on a DC sabre, my main stay engine at the time. It was in the champ I had.

Don't remember much about the joker...

Remember the Cox pt19, always breaking plastic parts...

Flew a kk freeflight Sopwith pup or camel converted to cl powered by a Cox peewee 20, was underpowered but was ok when "towed or pulled" around...

Much much later experimented with cereal packet cardboard covered foam wings, clark y, so much lift needed full down elevator for level flight.....on a DC sabre....I still have a sabre that's going in a champ...again.

Control liners, so much cheap fun...

Edited by Rich Griff

I had a Veron Nipper about 50 years ago and mine was powered by a DC Spitfire. I remember it had solid wings and a basic all sheet fuselage, making it very quick to build. Due to the small size and relatively heavy airframe it wasn't aerobatic, but it looked quite good compared to some of the basic profile models of the time.

If you are going the electric route it might be worth looking at Dens Model Supplies. He sells the Ace, which should be ok if you have limited building experience.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 09:10, Steve Goodwin said:

Not only are old photos special, it’s the comments that evoke memories too, I love the comment “the successful three” which suggests to the reader that there were others maybe not so successful!

I can't remember all the unsuccessful ones, only that they had violent confrontations with the ground!