Post delivered by drone

Outrunner

5 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

You mean like the promise of flying cars for everyone and electricity too cheap to meter? Evolution and innovation are great and I say bring 'em on, providing one doesn't wind up with evolutionary dead ends that one can find scattered all through past history going back to to the Dinosaurs.

It's all been tried before (Wernher von Braun and the early German rocket engineers envisaged postal delivery rockets) and although in very limited cases it can be made to work, their research money would be better spent elsewhere IMHO.

Actually the dinosaurs were incredibly successful until the extinction event meteor. They were around for so long that there are more millions of years between (IIRC) Stegasaurus and T-Rex than there is between T-Rex and us. 

Re post by drone, it seems to me that the P.O. finally have a solid excuse for losing your mail when it flies off or plunges into the sea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert

4 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Re post by drone, it seems to me that the P.O. finally have a solid excuse for losing your mail when it flies off or plunges into the sea. 

Perhaps that's the idea behind having a couple of trial operations at different ends of the UK before launching into full schedules of services. 

23 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

Currently, drones operating over the volcano on the island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands.

Have ensured safe evacuation with no loss of life, as the emergency services could pin point best use of resources instantly.

Having technology, ticking over, and developing in the background is no bad thing.

For the types of situation that you mention, I couldn't agree more.

I don't know for sure if this is the same drone, but our club chairman just posted today that he saw a large twin engined drone being tested at North Ronaldsay today and it was my old pal Paul Heckles who was flying it. Most of the flight is autonomous, waypoint following, but the landing is done manually-at least during those tests.