Cunliffe Owen OA-1 "Clyde Clipper" 3view

Nik Harrison

I know the OA-1 is not really the "Clyde Clipper" but everybody seems to call it that. Check out  Burnelli Saga

I'm after a good 3view of the Cunliffe Owen OA-1.  I remember a 3view in the Aeromodeller July 1965.  It was the one that also had the famous "Sharkface" in it.  I've lost my copy, so does anybody have a copy for sale maybe?

If nothing else the Burnelli story is a fasinating one. 

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Nik,

I have a collection of Aeroplane Monthly here from issue no 1 in the early '70's  through to year 1981 or so. In checking, I see that they ran a 6-part article by Howard Levy and Richard Riding entitled 'Burnelli's Lifting Fuselages' in the March, April, May, June, July and October 1980 issues.

This runs to 20 or so pages and includes the above mentioned OA-1 .....though sadly no 3-views  .

Nevertheless an interesting read with good photo's if you are into these strange craft  If you wish, I would be more than happy to scan out the articles in sequence and make a PDF file for you to read up on.

Regards.

Brian

/sites/3/images/member_albums/33772/3view3a.JPG

Brian,

If it's not too much trouble I'd love to be able to read up more on Burnelli. I would have thought that somebody would have written a book about such a character - but I've not found one yet.

I have emailed Aeroplane Monthly [no joy yet] and the famous Smithsonian Institution [who at least sent an acknowledgement]. Still trying to trace a copy of Aeromodeller July 1965.

I have made some progress in that I've put the best 3view I've got into CAD - see picture above from Simon as my starting point and the picture in this message as my CAD version. At least I've manged to make all three views agree dimensionally.

As the props are so close together these dictate the overall size. So 5" three bladers it is - giving a respectable 34" span. I intend to build this one using depron, sans undercart, and if this goes OK maybe a bigger version with retracts and flaps. This one will be electric, but I do love my IC twins so I'm undecided about the larger version.

Any help gratefully received . Thanks.

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to get a good 3view of the OA-1 I thought I'd try the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in the States.  Today I received a very nice letter from them with not only a superb 3view from the Scale Models International magazine, but also a copy of the original Aeromodeller article that I've been try to find.  Plus a reference to an Air-Britain's Archive magazine.

So I've ended up with a 1:72 and a 1:144 3view.  I'm amazed.  I cannot praise them enough.  You bet I'm going to build it now!

All this for free and I'm not even American. 

A very happy Nik. 

• 7 years later...

Stephen, there is an article in the 1979 Airfix Annual which describes the conversion of an Airfix Handley Page Hampden into the OA-1. The pictures you posted are probably of the end result. There is a thread about it here, which in the second post includes links to scans of the article. It includes some detailed three views too.

**LINK**

I wish my attempts at Airfix models had looked that good.

The original came to a sticky end when it took off with ailerons crossed after a service. This proved the strength of the central passenger/load area as those aboard survived the resulting cartwheel with engines wings ect shooting off in all directions.