Dancing Girl - Plan by Peter Miller

Low pass Pete

Advert

54 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Rhapsody is one of their plans with the added advantage of laser cut parts. It takes a couple of weeks as they are printed to order and they are busy.

Thanks EarlyBird.  Did you order online?  Any problems?  Not heard of the supplier before but the Dancing Girl has caught my eye for a winter build.

The Dancing Girl plan and article are available online free at Outerzone.  Looks an atractive design.    Whether it's worth downloading and having it printed off at a copy shop or buy at 12.50 from Doolttle is debateable.  Or you could print off on an A4 printer in sections.   Certainly worth reading the article from Outerzone before buying.

Doolittle are the Aeromodeller publishers now and I think Andrew Boddington is the editor now.  They also sell back issues of Aeromodeller and Flying Scale Models.

Edited by kc

19 hours ago, kc said:

The Dancing Girl plan and article are available online free at Outerzone.  Looks an atractive design.    Whether it's worth downloading and having it printed off at a copy shop or buy at 12.50 from Doolttle is debateable.  Or you could print off on an A4 printer in sections.   Certainly worth reading the article from Outerzone before buying.

Doolittle are the Aeromodeller publishers now and I think Andrew Boddington is the editor now.  They also sell back issues of Aeromodeller and Flying Scale Models.

Found it on Outerzone and downloaded it but no idea how to print on A4 from the pdf file.  Looks a nice plan and suitable for an Irvine 46 I have spare.

Edited by Low pass Pete

Pete, it's very easy to print a plan on A4, even I can do it. Open the .pdf file in Adobe Acrobat reader and not a web browser, click on print, click on print 100% size, click on poster print. I usually set the print job to preview first so I can have a final check that I will print what I'm expecting and make sure it doesn't print both sides.

After printing you need to trim down one edge of the page at the marks with a scalpel then join together with sticky tape to make a nice big plan.

It really is worth downloading the PDF version of a drawing (even if you have a full-size plan) because you can easily print just small parts (like formers or ribs) and stick them to sheet balsa/ply as a cutting out aid.  In this case you also get Peter's article to read which helps a lot.  Looks a very attractive model.

I noted that Peter admits to nearly losing the model on the maiden because he allowed it to go too high and so far downwind he lost orientation.  It gives me a little consolation for my having done the same on a couple of occasions.  ?

Check the scaling matches your plan though, bought a limbo dancer plan off ebay as it was not worth me printing the outer zone one.  Used the outer zone plan as the basis for a couple of cnc ribs, and found out they were too small.  For other parts I’ve managed to scale the outer zone plan by importing it into fusion 360 cad so I can use that for the tool paths.

Well it is stated to be a low resolution plan but it looks perfectly usable when enlarged to 100 percent on the screen.    However if the plan is still on sale at a resonable price - £12.50 in this case whch is a bit less than some plans - then maybe we should patronise the firm who sell the original plan as a matter of principle.

It's good enough to build a plane from and no worse than some printed plans.   But as I said it's maybe better to buy the real plan if it's available at a fair price.  

The delay in supplying the plan might be the deciding factor.   Why does it take 2 or 3 weeks to press a button on a photocopier and put paper in an envelope!