Foamboard Mosquito

Jonathan S

Great work there Richard and hopefully plans or kits might become available at some point.

As for you version I can see where you got your inspiration from 🤣

image.png.2a787b26bc98f96cfd83694d8caa5461.png 

Can't say it would be my choice, but each to their own and more importantly it flies well...and chance of a video...bottle nosed or not  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Andy, not seen you since they stopped the NATS, don`t give up, plenty of help and advice available here, they are so satisfying once done due to the low cost and possibilities to scratch build unusual subjects. Pm me if you want to chat about it on the phone, it might be easier to help you by talking you through what you had a problem with. I have been offered a stand at the end of year Model builder show at Buckminster to show some of our Foamboard creations and do demos of the process, hopefully some of the others on this forum will come along to show theirs and help, if not i`ll be Billy no mates on the stand!

22 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Hi Andy, not seen you since they stopped the NATS, don`t give up, plenty of help and advice available here, they are so satisfying once done due to the low cost and possibilities to scratch build unusual subjects. Pm me if you want to chat about it on the phone, it might be easier to help you by talking you through what you had a problem with. I have been offered a stand at the end of year Model builder show at Buckminster to show some of our Foamboard creations and do demos of the process, hopefully some of the others on this forum will come along to show theirs and help, if not i`ll be Billy no mates on the stand!

Amazed there aren’t more people doing these sort of builds. So cheap, easy to build and they fly great!  I’ve built far too many and don’t seem to be slowing down! Currently building mainly from B&Q insulation foam, as light foamboard is hard to find in the UK at present. 

1F0B0D6E-F942-4A60-935C-976D06325F36.jpeg

6B307126-C8CC-4254-A50F-B855C038814C.jpeg

0D5727E9-31F7-459B-BC3E-C655BBD386FC.jpeg

198E556D-C9AE-4CDC-82FE-3AF1D790378B.jpeg

• Like 2

This is my B25, foam board and depron. I had guests coming so I put it away in the loft and finishing of stalled as I did not want another hand launch model. I will get back to it but I intend to fit retracts. The wing is a flat bottom slab of foam board same as the Sunderland so nothing complicated. The model is based on a Marutaka plan and the cowls and canopies and plan were from Kevin Branch who may be persuaded to produce some more. 

20221218_195038.jpg

20221231_143337.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 1

Just now, martin collins 1 said:

Would be great if you could make it Graham, it would be good to have a chat and swap ideas as well, is the Pitts a foam board model as well, hadn`t seen that one before?

Yes. Mostly 3mm B&Q. Painted, then covered in laminating film. It's flown a few times, but still getting it trimmed. I think it needs some negative incidence of the top wing as it needs load of down trim and tends to climb. It's 40" span but weighs less than 3lbs. Flies on a 2200 3S pack and a 3642 motor. Wing construction is a tiny bit floppy. If I did it again I'd go for some carbon spars. I'm actually thinking of 3D printing some sections of 'I' spar to stiffen up foamboard wings. If I get onto this I'll share how it goes.

It has a neat cruciform fuselage construction with local stiffening using 1/32" ply . This ties together the lower wing forward mount, the undercarriage mount, top wing pylon and motor mount. It's quite tough but still very light.

We'd have a lot to chat about at Buckminster!

• Like 1