Vintage Model Company Balsa Basics kits - anyone tried one?

MattyB

13 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I'll tell you what's truly awful: Your disparaging nasty take down of someone who's trying to introduce more kids to the joys of building model aircraft. Fine don't buy, but don't be so outwardly negative and pessimistic to a small business trying to make a product from scratch.

His delivery might have been rather uncompromising, but I suspect @Christopher Long 1 was only saying what a lot of us were thinking. Compared to the VMC offerings at a similar price point those Hensons kits look somewhat crude in design, and also far less accurate in terms of scale looks. The absence of the AUW in the description will also put off many - at such small sizes weight is key, but the construction and wood selection looks rather heavy in the photos.

Advert

I didn't realise that just because someone puts a manufacturer in as a title that it makes any alternative suggestions irrelevant. Having looked through the history of @Christopher Long 1 post history, I notice he has championed VMC MANY times. Perhaps an affiliation there? 

As I understand it, it's against the rules of the forum to promote a manufacturer without declaring an interest. I have no financial interest in Henson, I visited his small business premises, I was impressed by what he's achieved in a short 18 months and I thought I'd mention it on this thread because I thought people might be interested. I see no way it's against any kind of rules to do so. I have bought 3 VMC kits and I have built two of them. Not scale models admittedly. I have no "beef" with VMC. I see the target markets might not be the same as Henson.

Perhaps a mod could clarify whether I've done something terrible by mentioning a competitor in a thread asking if anyone has tried a certain manufacturers micro scale kits?