Vintage Model Company Balsa Basics kits - anyone tried one?

MattyB

After discussions in this recent thread I was made aware of the Balsa Basics range from the Vintage Model Company - has anyone tried one? I haven't built in wood for many years, and with small kids around and limited time/build space a long term project really isn't an option. However I could do with a small hand launchable hack for spring and summer evenings in the fields around my house, and haven't found a foamie I really fancy. The Spit, Hurricane or even the Super Cub might do the trick - the warbirds can even be setup with FPV:

image.thumb.png.68c327f08c521116e7ffb18b235b75dd.png

104623283_3047575575307589_8149523633051170967_o__04865.1592813378.jpg?c=2

Anyone got any practical experience of these kits? They look to go together quickly, but having triend this kind of "jigsaw" kit before they are completely reliant on the cutting of parts being super precise. If anything is off it can be more annoying fettling parts to fit than it is to cut them right yourself first time!

Edited by MattyB
Typos

1 hour ago, Dad_flyer said:

Thanks, that is a useful read. It looks like it goes together well other than a few slightly odd choices of hardware, though I'm not sure converting a model with a structture like this to IC is the best of ideas - better to start with something designed for the purpose. Certainly mine (if I get one, most probably the Spit) would be electric powered.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Matty, a good flying friend of mine has built a few of these and converted them to electric / RC, the go together well and are great fliers too. I myself started a smaller one a few years ago, the Fokker DVIII - 18" WS with a view to flying it indoors or on very calm days outdoors, unfortunately the build stalled at the covering stage and has been gathering dust on my office shelf ever since ?. It has been converted for leccy and a 'brick' type RX / servo board.

IMG_6652.thumb.jpeg.d285f508fb17bc964c476fd530387830.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Matty, a good flying friend of mine has built a few of these and converted them to electric / RC, the go together well and are great fliers too. I myself started a smaller one a few years ago, the Fokker DVIII - 18" WS with a view to flying it indoors or on very calm days outdoors, unfortunately the build stalled at the covering stage and has been gathering dust on my office shelf ever since ?. It has been converted for leccy and a 'brick' type RX / servo board.

My VMC Rubber Tiggy is also part built and gathering dust.  Given our indoor sessions end in 4 weeks, I think it's safe to say it'll be a model for next years sessions....

The quality of the larger VMC models (Hurri, Spit etc.) is on a par with these little 'uns. 

I'll be interested to see how you get on.   The VMC is probably the nearest model shop to me now.  Flag is about 25 miles from Belper and I have been known to cycle there to meet the start of a club ride ?   That would be 20 years ago when I was a mere lad of 60.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2022 at 15:44, Geoff S said:

I'll be interested to see how you get on.   The VMC is probably the nearest model shop to me now.  Flag is about 25 miles from Belper and I have been known to cycle there to meet the start of a club ride ?   That would be 20 years ago when I was a mere lad of 60.

Blimey, 50 miles there and back plus the club ride as well? You were fitter than me, I've only done 80 once and that nearly killed me...

PS - The kit and electrics arrived from VMC today, so I will start a build thread after I've had chance to look it all over... ?

My longest ride was 400 kms completed in just short of 20 hours including stops either to eat or put on night clothes.  My hardest was 300km in continuous rain/floods which took nearly as long ?  Just a few weeks after the 400k ride I was brought low by a whizzing cat, the injuries from which led to my being here rather than still cycling and sailing.

Looking forward to seeing your approach to the kit. Is it the Spitfire or the Hurricane?  I quite fancy the latter - everybody has a Spit ?

It's the Spit; the Hurricane is nice too, and probably a bit more scale looking given the stringers show through on both. I am going to sheet the upper D-box and selected areas of the fuselage though to make it a tiny bit more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Daren Cogdon said:

I have the Spitfire, which I've been meaning to get started on.

I also purchased the additional radiator/exhaust pack to turn it into a Mk.IX version.  

Mine seems to have come with those components as std, or some variant of them. Hoping to get started on the build next week; my Polyspan (polyester tissue) just arrived in the post from Free Flight Supplies?

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Can I offer a suggestion to take a look at : https://hensonsflyingmachines.com/

This is a guy called Dane Henson who has recently started a business which offers beautifully detailed, laser cut kits. He is a new member of our local flying club and is hoping to start RC flying, but is so busy with this startup he's not yet had time. I've recently picked up a couple of his kits and they look excellent. Not commenced a build yet though.

It's my plan to get my kids to get involved in building them with my supervision, and completed in time for the BMFA record attempt on 15th May.

Cheers

Dave

4 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Can I offer a suggestion to take a look at : https://hensonsflyingmachines.com/

This is a guy called Dane Henson who has recently started a business which offers beautifully detailed, laser cut kits. He is a new member of our local flying club and is hoping to start RC flying, but is so busy with this startup he's not yet had time. I've recently picked up a couple of his kits and they look excellent. Not commenced a build yet though.

It's my plan to get my kids to get involved in building them with my supervision, and completed in time for the BMFA record attempt on 15th May.

Cheers

Dave

I quite fancy trying the Spitfire for RC sometime.  

Sorry I won't be  buying, looking at the kits they look truly awful compared with the VMC models designed by Andrew Darby in the Magnificent Flying Machines range. Just compare Henson's models with the VMC Vought F4U Corsair reviewed in the current RCM&E!  The Henson kits look poorly designed, just look at the size of the leading edge on the 109 model for instance and how far it's edge is from the front of the ribs! On the Spitfire the rear end of the ribs is also way forward of the trailing edge! 

7 hours ago, Christopher Long 1 said:

Sorry I won't be  buying, looking at the kits they look truly awful compared with the VMC models designed by Andrew Darby in the Magnificent Flying Machines range. Just compare Henson's models with the VMC Vought F4U Corsair reviewed in the current RCM&E!  The Henson kits look poorly designed, just look at the size of the leading edge on the 109 model for instance and how far it's edge is from the front of the ribs! On the Spitfire the rear end of the ribs is also way forward of the trailing edge! 

I'll tell you what's truly awful: Your disparaging nasty take down of someone who's trying to introduce more kids to the joys of building model aircraft. Fine don't buy, but don't be so outwardly negative and pessimistic to a small business trying to make a product from scratch.

8 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Regarding  https://hensonsflyingmachines.com/ He's starting to build some slightly scaled up versions which will be perfect for small RC too - I'll definitely pick up one of those when he's released them.

What I don't understand is posting about Hensons Flying Machines when the topic is clearly about VMC.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

I'll tell you what's truly awful: Your disparaging nasty take down of someone who's trying to introduce more kids to the joys of building model aircraft. Fine don't buy, but don't be so outwardly negative and pessimistic to a small business trying to make a product from scratch.

Sorry, but you introduced Henson's models into the VMC thread and so I compared them with what VMC offer, and from what I seen they fall short. Nothing I wrote is 'nasty' but just my observations, which are there for anyone who has built flying model aircraft to see. Good luck to him for trying, but if you wanted to promote his kits why not start a separate thread instead of piggy backing onto this topic which is clearly about VMC!