Does anyone have a Muffler for a old MDS 40 ?

Engine Doctor

For a friend?image.png.7a1ac0f861668be97863a62fe0b95a13.png
You would say that, wouldn’t you!

Actually, I still have a couple of MDS engines in occasional use (38 and 58) and they’ve given really good service.  Some are definitely better than others but once carburation is sorted they don’t necessarily deserve a lot of their reputation as Metal Door Stops. 

• Like 1

Agreed . Providing you don't wring every last rev out of them they go quite well with a decent carb.

My mate , really your honour 🤥, turned up with a new unused example with gold head and prop driver. He asked me to sort it . I have fitted a SC carb for him and intended to make an adapter for an sc muffler. The mounting screws spacing is too similar so decided to look for a original. Most are probably in landfill now. 

Thinking back most mds engines were sold when castor oil was still used in lots if fuels. Might last better with decent oil ?

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

I seem to recall that MDS silencers were quite good (perhaps the best thing about them).  IIRC (and I often don't) they fitted Irvine engines as well and shared a standard hole spacing.

They also fit Webra engines. I used to have a Webra 40 fitted with this silencer. I gave it away to a twelve year old lad. It currently powers his ancient trainer. We had to remove one of the internal washers for optimum performance.