Melted foam wing.

Tom Flynn 1

Hi Forum readers.

I have just bought a plane with foam wings. On further inspection (removed the covering) i have found epoxy resin was not 

used to glue the leading and trailing edges on. In fact they nearly fell off, but underneath I see quite a lot of the foam has melted.

So has anyone any thoughts on how to fill these gaps and spaces. I was thinking of a light wood filler, but totally unsure.

thanks

Tom

You could re-attach them using polyurethane glue, E.g. Gorilla, which could expand into the voids and secure the les and tes (no apostrophes).   With the glue foaming back into the gaps I would think it would be secure.  You will need to keep on top of the excess glue foaming out of the gaps to avoid a mess when it cures.

BTC

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your comments, having removed most of the covering now, I have a feeling I’ll be doing a bit 

Gorilla glue, and cutting away and replacing with balsa. A couple of places are really bad and replacing seems

the easiest option.

the fuselage and tail are quite well built, but the wings are poor. Obviously the guy was not a seasoned modeller.

Wing; a circular patch of glass, belt and braces?   Circular spreads the stress risers.

Having slept once I’m still wedded to Gorilla glue, because it ought to bond to the foam cores.   Maybe remove loose or friable foam first.   If the skinning is loose, maybe fix those first with PVA.   I would be nervous of lightweight filler because it might well not bond to the foam cores.

Or, ring Bill Manley (Billkits) for new wings!

BTC