Dx6i and JR transmitters no longer work as buddy-lead pair

Tony Harrison 2

I have the Dx6i which I bought new, and an old JR TX, which used to form a perfectly good buddy-lead setup - from the start it worked perfectly. Now it doesn't. Neither unit has been banged or otherwise mistreated. We tried swapping the double-3.5mm jack lead end for end, made no difference. Any suggestions? I don't want the expense of getting a 2nd Dx6i, which still seems popular and commands high prices on Ebay.

rgds Tony

Advert

As Shaun suggests, the lead is always suspect as it can swing about every flight.

Can you borrow another lead?

If the lead is ok

The DX6i only uses the JRs sticks, while the JR is Power OFF.

Can you check the JR sticks are still ok?

Assign another model space number for the buddy model on the DX6i and re-bind and trim out the model again, so as to leave behind the non-working link.

There will only be a few wires in the cable to do a continuity/wiggle/very light load test can be performed, unlike the pug, 87 wires checked ( and another 19 in the drivers door loom ) anything other than a full "pass" on each wire, the wire was replaced. Not easy on a pug, loom stripped etc., but pleased to say all good now.

Check the lead, we all have multi meters don't we ?

Just use very small needle soldered to wire to make probes. Back probe is much safer than front probe...no risk of "expanding" the female connections...

Edited by Rich Griff

18 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

There will only be a few wires in the cable to do a continuity/wiggle/very light load test can be performed, unlike the pug, 87 wires checked ( and another 19 in the drivers door loom ) anything other than a full "pass" on each wire, the wire was replaced. Not easy on a pug, loom stripped etc., but pleased to say all good now.

Check the lead, we all have multi meters don't we ?

Just use very small needle soldered to wire to make probes. Back probe is much safer than front probe...no risk of "expanding" the female connections...

Thanks Rich. To be honest, I don't understand much of what you say! However, perhaps you can tell me whether a new lead using 3.5mm stereo jacks would work: loads of these available, even here in a large store in my nearest French town, but finding a lead with mon jacks is like searching for hen's teeth. If I were in England, I have boxes full of cable, plugs of all sorts, soldering gear - but my French workshop is more modestly supplied.

rgds Tony

No idea...how many wires/terminals/contact pins and sockets ?

Sticking a "too large" probe into a female contact will "enlarge" the hole detrimentally, poor contact ...

I know you will have a multimeter...

Hope it's just a lead problem ( broken wire ) , post a picture of the leads ends and tx sockets please...

A "loose" tx socket a possibility as you said you tried a new lead ?

3 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

No idea...how many wires/terminals/contact pins and sockets ?

Sticking a "too large" probe into a female contact will "enlarge" the hole detrimentally, poor contact ...

I know you will have a multimeter...

Hope it's just a lead problem ( broken wire ) , post a picture of the leads ends and tx sockets please...

A "loose" tx socket a possibility as you said you tried a new lead ?

Thanks again. Lead has sealed plugs, can't inspect joints. TX sockets seem firm.

rgds Tony