Damn those Brit Typhoons..

Graff

I guess the title needs some explaining....

It's actually the first time I've been "shot down" by a Typhoon...

What happened is as follows:

I was flying my Cub at our registered model airfield in Kivik (in the south of Sweden) today, when all of a sudden we saw two Eurofighter Typhoons silently coming in from the east!

I could only state that they were:
 1- over our model airfields regulated flight area
 2- a good bit below 100-120 meters.  (They are not to fly below 100 meters, and we have 120 meters as a maximum flight height).
 3- flying damn fast!

I instinctively dove to keep out of the way.
But a couple of seconds after they passed, my Cub went straight down into the field, looking like a leaf in an autumn storm!  Now we're talking turbulence!
There wasn't anything I could do to save the model, it was totally out of control.

These two British fighter planes were involved in bombing and shooting practice at the Ravlunda firing range, but they shouldn't fly so low over our flying field. The swedish JAS Griffon planes we also saw, flew higher and more over the range.

I got really scared of what could've happen if we had collided in the air.
We model pilots have a duty to avoid full scale aircraft, but you hardly have any time to react when they come so low and fast.
There was no NOTAM regarding this joint exercise, only the shooting range's own information about safety distances and the restrictions of their area.
No restriction was in action in our airspace.

In my case, it was "only" time and money that was lost, but if a jet fighter airplane goes down after a collision, many lives can be in danger.
I have been in contact with both the Air Force and the Swedish Transport Agency about this incident.

Your thoughts?

Advert

I’ve known a number of fast jet pilots. Skilled, yes.

but, perhaps a better self description is fast jet God.

Not even sure if I’m being fair. Fly over an average model site, it’s got to be a shock to see any activity. 

We were buzzed last year by a twin rotor helicopter. Breezy day, and it was hiding behind the trees down wind of the approach, rearing up occasionally. I think it was curious, and wanted to play. (Dog owner, tends to relate to dog mentality). Trouble was, there is a  gap downwind, we cut down a tree as needed, once a generation, to give a turning mark. And he’s in the gap. Better view there for him.
I was not amused to land a precious airframe, turning short, over an evil rocky tump, so I’m sure I am my side of the trees.

Are pilots any different from Joe Public in a fast car? Hunter with rifle? Electric scooter on pavement? 

Waving a flag, not for a second knocking patriotic motive, a mind that even gets into a fast jet, knowing what you sign up for, has got to be a poor insurance risk.

• Like 1

In the 80's I had a similar incident with two RAF Hawk trainers, Main difference I was in a microlight as they passed just in front and beneath me. Still imprinted in my memory the view of the nearest aircraft's crew with pilot looking straight ahead his hand on the stick and the instructor looking down at his clipboard. 

We get them all the time, Dog fights with Rafale's and Mirage 2000's, but with mostly blue sky's you can hear and see them before any damage is done,

as said by Don, french bike riders a law to their own as are electric scooters, and Monday night 20 minutes after sunset ( the dog walking me ) 3 shots from a high powered rifle probably shooting at our local wild pigs.

Our flying site is on the edge of Dartmoor, which is often overflown by the military. About a year ago, an F35 accompanied by something else flew over our field VERY low and VERY fast!

Luckily, we were all just packing up to leave, and no-one was in the air!

It all happened so suddenly, we didn't even get chance to identify the second aircraft. We never saw or heard them coming, but we certainly saw and heard them going!

--

Pete

In the UK, we can file an AirProx report when two aircraft were in imminent danger of collision.  Sweden has something similar, the SHK, as here is one of their reports:  Typical Swedish Airprox report

Given that you were flying from an approved model flying site, why not contact the SHK by phone in the first instance and follow that up with a report.  Before making the call, gather your facts (lat/long of site, exact time of occurrence, full-size aircraft identification if you can (most military aircraft carry a transponder and this information is available after the event on some websites), so you sound convincing. 

The idea of ground based transponders for air users such as model clubs, active gliding sites etc. is seen by many as Big Brother encroaching on us, however if it avoids the loss of models and potentially manned aircraft, it has its benefits.

1 hour ago, Robin Colbourne said:

In the UK, we can file an AirProx report when two aircraft were in imminent danger of collision.  Sweden has something similar, the SHK, as here is one of their reports:  Typical Swedish Airprox report

Given that you were flying from an approved model flying site, why not contact the SHK by phone in the first instance and follow that up with a report.  Before making the call, gather your facts (lat/long of site, exact time of occurrence, full-size aircraft identification if you can (most military aircraft carry a transponder and this information is available after the event on some websites), so you sound convincing. 

The idea of ground based transponders for air users such as model clubs, active gliding sites etc. is seen by many as Big Brother encroaching on us, however if it avoids the loss of models and potentially manned aircraft, it has its benefits.

We have a separate incident report here in Sweden just for drones.

And that is already filled out and sent to the proper authority.

That report will eventually reach the SHK.

I did report the incident above to the local RAF base, the answer was they were doing lot of low level training at 500ft and under [ I was at about 500ft] and if flying on a weekday I should stay above a 1000ft and there would be no problem.    Different times.😄

Similar thing happened to a couple of gliding clubmates in the 70s. They were doing a field retrieve from a Welsh valley and just after takeoff two Jaguars (IIRC) came round the corner of the valley - one went under the tug and glider combination and the other above.  The result was that it was put down to bad - and good - luck with no party at fault. 

Our club, also near Dartmoor National Park, has frequent military aviation visits at low level. After a January airprox we were advised by both RAF and BMFA to get a permanent NOTAM. This works. 

The RAF explained that pilots pre-plan their sorties and NOTAMS are incorporated in the flight plans.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TigerOC said:

Our club, also near Dartmoor National Park, has frequent military aviation visits at low level. After a January airprox we were advised by both RAF and BMFA to get a permanent NOTAM. This works. 

The RAF explained that pilots pre-plan their sorties and NOTAMS are incorporated in the flight plans.  

Unfortunately we can't get a NOTAM, as our model flying fields here in Sweden aren't on the AIP.

It seems like they don't consider model airplanes as a big risk.