55" Span radio control Aviation Traders Carvair, a lifetime in the making!

martin collins 1

More progress, some of the formers will get lightening holes once they are all in and i see which end is going to be heaviest. Still modifying the plan as i go due to discrepancies and better ways of doing things, it will help when i build the second larger one 😆. Progress being slowed a bit by the modifications and my recalcitrant glue gun! 

IMG_20221023_193451_resized_20221023_073507124.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a week or so cutting out ribs, spar parts and l/edge etc but a number of discrepancies and the general vagueness of the plan in that area including what looked like wash in instead of out built into the ribs has made shove the parts in a box and start from scratch on the wings. I am now building them in the style of the ones that were on my Foam board ME 109, with a flat board on the bottom, two foam spars with wood to strengthen and a board on the top with the inner skin removed. It is quick to produce, strong and a lot less hassle, it may be a bit heavier but i will aim to lighten the fuselage in non structural areas to help keep the weight down. Wing bottom skins made and a picture taken to show how small the wing area is compared to the bulk of the fuselage, i am now taking bets as to whether it will fly!!! Picking up some more foamboard tomorrow and i will get the spars made and fitted with the top skin going on Friday. I feel a lot happier about the wings now as i can see how they will work. 

IMG_20221102_210337_resized_20221102_095204665.jpg

IMG_20221102_210328_resized_20221102_095205410.jpg

• Like 1

Circles for holes are already marked on it Paul, last night i was removing the paper with a heat iron on the formers as the strength is not needed there abd once the skin is attatched it will put more strength back. Of course it would have been easier to remove the paper before gluing it all together 🙄. You learn as you go along and in future the paper will be removed from these where they are just used for hanging the outer skin on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with another Foamboard project (non flying) which i am making someone for Christmas, i will post on the forum once the present has been unwrapped, just in case the person stumbles across this forum! Back to the task in hand, the fuselage is now finished bar the outer 3mm depron skin, that is the last job on the list. All servos are fitted and fuselage control snakes fitted and connected, i used snake inners as the outer and ran carbon rod through the centre as the control rod with metal ends bound with cotton and epoxy to keep the weight at the rear as low as possible. The motor box skins are now made and fitted, i went off plan here as i had with the whole wing build, my pal had drawn the motor supports as a + section, a vertical and a horizontal with formers round them, my boxes will still have formers but they will need less material, i think this is a stronger method as well. Looking at the motor selection now and will put some thin ply strengthening into the inside walls on the boxes before adding the ply motor mounts to the front of the boxes. 

IMG_20221123_184740_resized_20221124_103959281.jpg

IMG_20221124_223317_resized_20221124_103338481.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what i was busy with on the run up to Christmas plus building plastic model kits of a 1969 Corvette and a Viking longboat for other presents. The wall hang Carvair is made from HobbyCraft foamboard using the main vertical pattern from the R/C Carvair then adding another piece of foam board to make the wing and the tailplane, so it is quite large. The scheme is that of the British United Carvair that our family flew to France on with our Doormobile camper van in the 1960`s,  it is now hanging in my brothers entrance hall.

IMG-20230109-WA0000.jpg

• Like 2