3 Blade props....

Advert

I fitted one to one of my electric models running on a 4S. Bought a cheap one first and it was useless. Bought a better quality one and it was very good, equally comparable to a 2 bladed prop. Didn't notice any loss of efficiency. I couldn't find any comparison chart, but then the range of sizes for 3 bladed props is quite limited.

Often wondered about this loss of efficiency thing. There are plenty of civilian and military planes using multi-bladed props for various reasons, usually for ground clearance reasons like the Spitfire. Can't be all that bad. Then there are wind turbines. Hmmm.

From my experience there are two main differences after the drop an inch method.

Firstly there is just not the same choice of three blade props, not a problem if you change cell counts on the battery (assuming you can) to get the best set-up.

Secondly three and four blade props shift more air at low RPM compared with a two blade, so great at getting going but can be a bit of a hand full when landing as they are more on/off with their thrust + produce more drag so no chop and glide! Plus they seem to run out of puff at higher motor/air speed, probably as the motor is just spinning a blade in the wash of the previous blade. 

IIRC a lot of the larger scale models have a 3 or 4 blade for show and then the owner swaps to a 2 blade for flight!..does that tell you something?

• 2 weeks later...