Bit of help / advice please!

SIMON CRAGG

Our club are thinking about starting a "Drone Section", and I thought I might join in.

After a LOT of research , I had more or less settled on a HolyStone HS 125D. (Used / as new £80).

It was all systems go, until I found out that it "needs" 5G for the wi-fi, and my phone (Vodaphone Smart N10), is only 4G!.

More research gives conflicting results, some say it will work, some not.

Is there anybody out there that can help please?.

Obviously, I don't want to waste valuable Stella coupons on something that is not going to work 100%.

4 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

5G is the mobile phone signal not the wifi, I can't understand why the drone is talking to the phone over the mobile network. What happens if you are operating the drone where there is no 5G network.

Thanks Frank.

I find the whole drone thing VERY confusing. The market is absolutely flooded with all sorts of variations. The prices have dropped a lot, but obviously I don't want to  waste Stella tokens.

I am getting so many conflicting answers, I am thinking of binning the idea.

I have sorted out the sort of drone I would like (GPS, Brushless motors, stabilised camera etc.), its just this phone thing I just do not understand. I certainly don't want to have to buy a new 5G capable phone just to get the system to work.

Hopefully, somebody on here can explain what's what in SIMPLE terms!.

Simon, I'm not familiar with that drone, but reading the info (BTW I assume it's a HS175D or HS120D I couldn't find a 125D) it looks like it uses wifi to send the video directly to the camera, using 5GHz Wifi (not 5G) instead of 2.4 GHz. 5GHz allows more data transfer but with a reduced range. So you'd need to check that your phone supports dual band Wifi, which is completely separate from 4G/5G which is the connection to the phone network.

The problem with using 5Ghz transmission for the video feed is a lack of range, Camera World say you are pushing it beyond 100m.

Note this drone is a photo/video drone designed to take photos/video not flying like a regular model aircraft.

I have a DJI Mini 2 which uses the transmitter for both the control and video feed (the phone is hardwired to the Tx) and that is very fussy on the phone, if you have a low spec phone not all features work, your N10 might stuggle

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Thanks Frank, I think I'll give it a miss for a while or maybe get a cheap and cheerful that does not need a phone. Any suggestions?.

The latest DJI Mini 3 controller has the display built in so doesn't need a phone for display etc, but it's not cheap................

Sorry I'm not that well up on what other photo drones are available.