Odd ball battery

Rich Griff

Advert

Thinking about this, perhaps a 3.7 lipo and a resister "potential divider" chain to tap 3.2 volts, diode even, but a diode may "reduce" voltage tooo much ( down to 3.1 or 3 volts ) ?

Any thoughts ?

Will continue search for life battery, perhaps there are some suitable voltage regs out there I could utilise ?

Edited by Rich Griff

Hi Rich I bought a dozen mini helicopter returns from a stall at Wings  and Wheels some years ago. Every one had battery problems but most just hadn't been charged properly. They were all fitted with tiny lipo cells and were charged via a USB  lead. It may be that Life  cells were used as " they were available" as is often the way  with these toy type helis. 

You could put a shockty diode in the circuit that will drop the voltage by approx .5 volt.

Potential divider, two resistors capable of handling the "power" , quarter watt maybe.

Two resistors same value would half the voltage, divided, a " chain"...centre tapping in this instance

So get the proportions correct and end up with 3.2v from 3.7v at the centre tapping...

A feel some Kirchoff and nodal analysys brewing...

My data book is AWOL...3.3 v reg ts2950cz-3.3 at 72p but need data book for further info....

No smoothing needed as DC to dc....

Wieght is the problem...

Thanks for the Schottky diode suggestion, need my data book, wth are you !

Thanks for the suggestions so far....much appreciated...

Don't think one of those super capacitors will give enough duration.....

A sc was used on the twin motor indoor flying models in Bethesda.  

Edited by Rich Griff

The problem with a 3-terminal regulator is that it needs a certain amount of "headroom" to operate. The voltage drop we are talking about here is very small, so probably not enough headroom for a regulator.

Best option is an ordinary silicon diode of a suitable current rating (typically 0.6-0.7V drop). Germanium diodes are typically 0.3V, but are usually low current types. Some Schottky diodes have a very low forward voltage drop, so choose carefully!

Whichever way you go, I would recommend a small smoothing capacitor after the diode (tantalum beads are very small!) to reduce potential issues with motor noise.

--

Pete