December 2022 edition

GrumpyGnome

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

This is what I love about the model maker/flying hobby. The unbounded optimism yous all have. 😭

We go from "Don't like the colour background to the text".

To "The end is nigh". ☠️

Last un out switch light off please. 😉

Image1.jpg

• Like 1

My view: I struggle with black text on a dark background. My very recent eye test gave me "better than 20:20 vision" but glasses don't compensate for black on dark.

I like the magazine and have it on subscription by direct debit paid 3 monthly  -it is a significant saving and I don't really notice the cost. OK, I don't get the 'free' offer that goes with annual subscriptions but I don't want a freebee that I've probably already got (and you pay for one way or another).

The 3 monthly subscription is very important, if it was annual I couldn't justify the outlay.

A very important content to me is the free plan. OK I don't make many but those I do more than make up for those I don't.

I'm enjoying the December issue and still reading it.

😻 

On 19/11/2022 at 22:53, kevin b said:

…The other is your comment about the BMFA News.

As an association they have to provide a journal so that the general membership can be informed as to matters concerning the association.

Currently (as with all others) they are obliged to provide that journal in a printed format.

The Articles of Association (linked from this page) are currently unobtainable from the BMFA site for some reason, but from memory there has never been a hard requirement for a hard copy of the BMFA News; they just preferred to do it that way because the BMFA believe it gains brownie points with the CAA.

However, as @Cuban8 points out that is now an antiquated view when a huge percentage of the population do masses of critical actions (buying cars, arranging high value financial products such as mortgages, tax returns, healthcare provision etc) online. If the BMFA are going to offer the option to receive it online only I will certainly be happy - I would far rather it drop into my inbox than through the front door, and would read more of it as a result.

Edited by MattyB

I'm with @trevor, life is to short to spend even more time looking at a screen which would certainly reduce my enjoyment and probably result in not reading a purely online format. I do read both the BMFA and RCM&E cover to cover, even articles I am not interested in as quite often there are interesting snippets of information.

• Like 2

The design and the content of the magazine has been somewhat lacking for a while now.

I get my subscription as a Xmas present each year - so it's pretty automatic.  I doubt I would pay to pick one up each month.

Most of us get info online these days - so a printed mag has to have something extra.

It used to be the superb photography and the features on certain models and modelers.  Gliding coverage is poor now that Simon Cocker and Andy Ellison have hung up their pens.

Edited by FilmBuff

Evening all, ( i sound like a blue lamp extra!)

I quite enjoyed the mag this month, it really is not the same without Alex W, Brian Winch, and the others who have left us, but it is still a good read.

One thing that i find strange and a bit annoying, has nothing to do with the mag, is the Tony Nijhouse? new Hawk desigh, why oh why after producing two really good turbine kits ie the Retrojet and Vampire, is the new Hawk designed for a .45 turbine when all the others are for .80 size?

I would love the Hawk but really cannot afford to buy another size turbine to power it with.

Please T.N. make a hawk for a .80 size turbine.

Have a great evening

Chris.C

• 1 month later...