IC engine choice for Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc

Tim Donald

Advert

Mine has a 90 four stroke in it, and seems a perfect match - not indefinite vertical but certainly enough for nice big loops.  I think anything bigger/more powerful would be overkill - it's not a pylon racer.

(previously I tried a 70 and 82 four stroke - both left it a little underpowered)

Edited by GrumpyGnome

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Mine has a 90 four stroke in it, and seems a perfect match - not indefinite vertical but certainly enough for nice big loops.  I think anything bigger/more powerful would be overkill - it's not a pylon racer.

(previously I tried a 70 and 82 four stroke - both left it a little underpowered)

Thanks GrumpyGnome.  Interesting that the 82 is underpowered.  I was wanting to be able to pull out of prop hangs and do some 3D stuff but doesn't sound like even a 90fs would be able to do that from what you say.  I'm coming to the conclusion that 4 strokes are not really going to work for anything other then usual club style aerobatics and warbirds.  

I have an OS 91 FX in a Seagull Ugly Stick. It's a great engine, not too noisy for a 2 stroke, excellent throttling, not critical on needle adjustment and never had a dead stick. It pulls my Seagull Stick through loops as big as you like and vertical is such that I have to chop the throttle for stall turns before it gets too high.

However, I cannot vouch for 3D performance. The Seagull Stick is quite heavy due to lots of plywood in the structure and the control surfaces are too small to be effective for 3D. Nor is 3D really my "thing".

• Like 1

If you wanted a 4 stroke then the only engine worth considering is the YS 115.  You are talking about a supercharged and fuel injected engine so it is expensive.  Probuild are the UK importers but don't list it on their site.  It fits the bearer holes of the earlier YS 91 so is probably a bored and stroked version of that engine.

• Like 1

I have an Ultra Stick but have not decided on the engine. I was going to use a FA-72 but after reading this I might go with a larger engine. I have a FA-100 but I thought that might be too heavy. Might work with the servos in the back.

With the 100 I might want to use a larger tank. Not much room. HAs anyone installed a larger tank.

7 hours ago, Tim Donald said:

Thanks GrumpyGnome.  Interesting that the 82 is underpowered.  I was wanting to be able to pull out of prop hangs and do some 3D stuff but doesn't sound like even a 90fs would be able to do that from what you say.  I'm coming to the conclusion that 4 strokes are not really going to work for anything other then usual club style aerobatics and warbirds.  

There must be other planes more suited for this type of flying - an H9 Ultrastik perhaps, with at least a 90 2 stroke.....

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

There must be other planes more suited for this type of flying - an H9 Ultrastik perhaps, with at least a 90 2 stroke.....

It's the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick that I'm asking about GrumpyGnome !  I wanted 4 stroke because of the noise from a big 2 stroke.  A 90 2 stroke might be too much for my club site.  But if it's not to be I might can the idea and get a smaller plane that runs on .60 2 stroke or less.

The OS91FX has 2 tpes of silencer.  The later version has an extra section and that makes a very effective silencer.  In the air, even at full throttle on the 2nd smallest prop recommended it is not noisy.  However, the noise test has engines in an artificial position of full throttle but no flight speed so it may be possible for the noise limit to be exceeded.  I know that the aerobatic competition electric motors driving a 3 blade prop on test will fail but you can barely here it in the air.

• Like 1

The noise test is flawed but it's what we have and isn't going anywhere.

That 3 section silencer is very effective. You'll be able to run the big motor at low revs on a very large prop so it might be easier on the nose test than a smaller engine singing away at higher revs.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tim Donald said:

It's the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick that I'm asking about GrumpyGnome !  I wanted 4 stroke because of the noise from a big 2 stroke.  A 90 2 stroke might be too much for my club site.  But if it's not to be I might can the idea and get a smaller plane that runs on .60 2 stroke or less.

Well, complete brain fade on my part. No idea why I thought you were asking about the Valiant!

I had an FA82 in mine - nice aeros but not enough for prop hanging shenanigans..... servis in the tail.  A 90 2 stroke should do the job.

• Haha 1

FA82 would be ideal for something a size down from the ultra stick. I have a 40 size 3d/fun fly type sport hack model, it is 5lb total AUW, that (currently) uses an old 70 surpass and whilst it's enough to pull the thing out of a prop hang, the 82 (being both lighter and larger) would be spot on. If I'm honest, the airframe is really just a bit porky for its intended use - could use being 1/2lb lighter.

Ultra stick 10cc is listed at 7lb weight so I'd guess a 120 four stroke would be needed for good 3d. Or a 90 two stroke.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tim Donald said:

I'm coming to the conclusion that 4 strokes are not really going to work for anything other then usual club style aerobatics and warbirds.

lb for lb, a modern four stroke gives very very similar power levels, as compared to a two stroke with a decent silencer... so I'd respectfully disagree. The profile 3d crowd were using Saito as the first choice, they're built very light. Saito 125a is 25oz (I believe) and would have plenty of go for 3d in something that weighs 7lb. Probably nothing in it, in terms of power, with the 91 two stroke.

• Like 1