Hello! New Cub Pilot in the East Midlands.

Ambassador Spock

Hi everyone, I've recently jumped into the hobby after lurking about these forums for a bit. I've joined a local club, who have been absolutely brilliant in teaching me the ropes. I've got a Hobbyzone Carbon Cub all assembled now - finally got it flying this past Sunday (though I wasn't the pilot - the freezing fog wasn't really conducive to a newbie pilot, so one of the club members took it up to get the trimming right and checked out for me). I'm looking forward to some nicer weather so that I can take it up myself. In the meantime I bought the RealFlight simulator software (trainer edition since it includes the Cub) and as soon as the wireless dongle I ordered arrives I'll get to practicing.

Advert

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.  You’ve got lots of learning ahead of you - but lots of great experiences and fun too. 

Don’t get disheartened by any little incidents along the way - they happen to all of us but just serve to heighten your sense of achievement as you progress. 

Sims are great for honing muscle memory but you will find it somewhat harder with the real thing.  Listen to your instructor, practice lessons on your sim and you’ll soon be making plans (but not too soon please!) for that Spitfire!

• Like 1

Welcome

I would leave the Lancaster for even later as its more expensive and more difficult to repair.

It is all to easy to think you have mastered your first plane, does if have the "safe" option? but it is unlikely that you really have.

Keep on setting yourself targets like being able to touch down in a controlled manner exactly where you intend every time. Such a skill will stand you in good stead for when you do fly faster heavier planes. 

Are you a "flyer" or a "builder"? Regardless expect to undertake some repairs. 😉

It building interests you in any way then you will have something to do on all the days when you can't fly and if you are in the UK that will be more days than you think.

Whatever just keep at it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Welcome

I would leave the Lancaster for even later as its more expensive and more difficult to repair.

It is all to easy to think you have mastered your first plane, does if have the "safe" option? but it is unlikely that you really have.

Keep on setting yourself targets like being able to touch down in a controlled manner exactly where you intend every time. Such a skill will stand you in good stead for when you do fly faster heavier planes. 

Are you a "flyer" or a "builder"? Regardless expect to undertake some repairs. 😉

It building interests you in any way then you will have something to do on all the days when you can't fly and if you are in the UK that will be more days than you think.

Whatever just keep at it. 

Oh don't worry, my goal of flying multi-engine planes is very much a long-term one...

The Cub does indeed have SAFE, I think it has three levels of options from full-beginner to no-aids, so theoretically I can practise at varying skill levels.

I'm definitely a "flyer", though who knows, I have plenty of time to explore the "building" side of the hobby if I want later on.