Mass build 2023

EarlyBird

4 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

It's that time of year again. 🙂

As the Digital version now includes the free plan. Three members have shown interest in the Dec/Jan Kestrel.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Steve

I buy the digital version, not aware of that, tell more, pretty model.

9 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

It's that time of year again. 🙂

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Steve

Small quick-build models have been quite popular for the MB in the past (Webbit, Pushycat, Wizza, Tucano)

how about Hanky Planky for a Mass Build?

Lots of variations possible:-Depron, IC conversion, 25% enlarged version or maybe  50% for 6s electric hooligans ️! How about an electric twin Hanky Planky anybody?

Models don’t get much simpler than this so what about making it a weekend build challenge (you don’t all have to choose the same weekend!)

Whatdoyathink anybody?

• Like 1

The only thing I would say if you are going to build Hanky Plank from foam board, put the servos in the tail! I've just weighed mine and at 14 oz is is a lot lighter than the balsa one in the mag and getting it to balance with the servos as per the plan means a lot of tail weight needs to be added. I'm going to move them back to the tail to see how that affects things. Also note that the motor shown in the mag is not available from George for about 6 weeks so he has an alternative one, which is the same price, same weight and slightly better performance.

On 17/12/2022 at 19:28, Piers Bowlan said:

Small quick-build models have been quite popular for the MB in the past (Webbit, Pushycat, Wizza, Tucano)

how about Hanky Planky for a Mass Build?

Lots of variations possible:-Depron, IC conversion, 25% enlarged version or maybe  50% for 6s electric hooligans ️! How about an electric twin Hanky Planky anybody?

Models don’t get much simpler than this so what about making it a weekend build challenge (you don’t all have to choose the same weekend!)

Whatdoyathink anybody?

Good ideas there Piers. Made me think and read past MBs.

One objective is to encourage novice builders, they can be experienced pilots. My thoughts are that the quick fun builds do appeal to the experienced which makes them popular MBs. Could we have a Fun MB and a Novice MB? 

What's the best way to move the MB forward? Certainly lots of variations will make for more interest, from me for one.

I'm still thinking and looking for ideas to keep the MB going.

Steve

On 17/12/2022 at 20:35, Ron Gray said:

I’ve built mine already! Just got wing servos and pushrods to fit.

3274FDF6-2A16-4894-A4FF-38E33D5F52A0.thumb.jpeg.27b8b8a08cb2353cf9861993a1b8c6a1.jpeg

Hi Ron, the shine on your Hanky Planky  suggests you have used Lam. film for the covering. the model would be a good subject for the B and Q polystyrene sheet, no tight curves and easy to sand. 

4 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Easy build?

Suitable for a novice builder?

how about novice pilot?

I would say that it was an easy build and is suitable for a novice builder, there are also build photos from Peter on here plus I have a full set too if anyone is interested (mine is an electric conversion rather than IC). Wing tips need a bit of thinking / planning!

My version is quite a bit overpowered and as such it it extremely aerobatic verging on the hooligan! But with controlled use of throttle (or less power) then it behaves much the same as a WOT4.

Edited by Ron Gray

It does look like a good model for a novice. I am reminded of how when I was a novice, before joining the A team, my instructor would check and maiden anything presented to him then he would give control to the novice to try. Flying on the buddy lead BTW.

As you say Ron there is plenty on here to help, also I will build one with detailed step by step instructions so that the novices can follow along, as long as they don't build too fast for me.

@Peter Miller is this a good plan?

Talking of plans where do we get them from?

Steve

1 hour ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Those have long since gone. I emailed last week.

That's bad news.

Looks like I am going to have to talk to them, 🤔 Tina, not all bad news then.

We need to start a Hanky Planky Mass Build. 

If I can sort something out with SLEC I will start a Peggy Sue 2 build.

Rules are start whenever you want, take loads of photos and make it fun.

Steve