Phoenix glider

tiny-james

Advert

Yes, drill out the holes in the horns so they are a good fit. Not loose so there is a lot of "slop", but not to tight to cause binding. Worth getting a set of small drills!. I would put about 10mm movement on everything, 30% expo and the c/g at the most forward position to start with. Once you have flown the model, you will probably need to fine tune the settings, so you are 1005 comfortable with it.  Second hole in on both servo and flying surface, fine tune the amount of movement on you TX. If you try and fly it with too much/ unequal  movements, it will be VERY difficult to fly. Make sure all the clevises are secured with a tiny cable tie to stop them springing open. And of course do not forget to put your long CAA number on it somewhere. If you  have not flown before, please go to your local club and get an instructor to test fly it for you. It might sound easy, but its a reasonably large glider and I'm sure you don't want to break it on that first flight.

Good luck!.

• Like 1

All good advice from Simon - especially the final piece about clubs!

You may find that there is a small piece of tubing already on each control rod - this can be used instead of cable ties - slide it onto the clevis so it keeps it closed, but not so close to the horn on the control surface that it stops it moving (a good instructor will check this..) Or you may find some pieces in the hardware pack..... 

Not sure if you know what expo is - if so, ignore this..... expo will 'soften' the movement of the planes control surfaces when the transmitter sticks are near the centre, so that stick movements near the centre have less of an impact than those when the sticks near their extremes.  This makes flight smoother; the amount is a personal choice so you/your instructor may want to change it.

• Like 1

Whilst we are all waiting for better weather, have you considered getting a flight simulator?.

They can be VERY useful when learning to fly.

Be careful when using the supplied tubing, some of it can be very brittle.

Heat shrink is a good idea, but please do not melt the fuselage!!

I have a flight Sim "Pheonix 6" I use it twice a week with one ribbon on a wing so I can see left or right while learning to fly a plane I have just added a TV to the kitchen wall so I can stand and operate the transmitter standing up and the TV is much bigger than my laptop plus I increase the plane/model size to max 200% 

I think the supplied tubing supplied is a bit on the small side 

I have the 1600 phoenix s as it was me just fishing for a Christmas gift from the wife to start this hobby.

I was diagnosed with right heart failure 12 months ago which is terminal yep I have anywhere from 2 years to 5 years expected left. I have found myself just sitting in the house watching TV waiting to die. But this is not good for the mental health of my wife and friends, also myself so I decided to take up flying.

Flying started out with a drone for a caravan site LOOK around because of my health I can’t walk very far anymore as a result of my health condition. I love to take photos while I’m on holiday.

But to get me off the chair at home I have decided to fly planes as the drone’s a very much weather dependent where flying planes can cope a bit better with the wind

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

OMG. My thoughts are with you.

Have you got a local club you can go to?

We have several members who are not in the best of health.

Model flying is fantastic for mental health.

Beavering away in a warm workshop during the cold winter months, and then spending as much time in the fresh air with like minded people "up the patch", when the weather improves.

Once concentrating (and talking....a lot), on flying, the days go so quickly, and it certainly helps take your mind of other worries that would only multiply sat in front of the box.

I really hope you can get your model in the air, and search out those elusive thermals, and enjoy this fantastic hobby as much as we all do.

The very best of luck to you.