Shifty

Well done Steve, your a braver man than me undertaking a maiden in todays breeze!

Glad it flies well and thanks for taking the time to build it.

It looks the business :classic_cool:

We need to get some flying shots and video.

I will compare my CG with yours and see how close we are.

Interesting, my CG is around 85mm infront of the LE with an AUW of around 550g. I'm guessing the extra weight is because I widened the fuselage a tad to accomodate larger Lipos on the finished plan.

I'd be interested to know how yours performs inverted Steve, mine requires no pitch input for straight and level flight.

Edited by Richard Harris

The weather finally improved for a few formites to get together for an afternoon of flying.

Steve's Shifty looks even better in the flesh and is a credit to him 

I did  manage to get a couple photos of it in all its glory but the light wasnt great.

IMG_9330.thumb.JPG.dd3d48cc42c01522b74ace14505dd4db.JPG

IMG_9228.thumb.JPG.9bf54cb8363703e78093dc968b4b5ed2.JPG

IMG_9195.thumb.JPG.fdd4602c8aa83d3943a0dfe7e0bd9a76.JPG

We set up mine on Rich E's transmitter and he had numerous flights along with Steve's in formation (ish). I did get some footage but will need to go through it all.

The good news is that I've got to make another canopy for Rich E.

Here they are after flattening several batteries.

IMG_9249.thumb.JPG.66823e81f3b78f430cd2b6701c4283cb.JPG

We had a good comparison over both of the models, Steve's CG is about 10mm forwards of mine which seems to make little difference. His motor is about 6mm lower which may be the reason for this, he's going to reposition it to match mine which is line with the canard and wing centre line.

As for trims neither have any dialed in which is reassuring.

One thing that was discussed  was the ballast weight added to each, there is enough room to possibly fit a larger capacity lipo to give an even greater duration. 

Hopefully a video to follow.

Rich

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Beautiful. If it arrives in the mag, I may do my third ever mag plan build. Following Nigel Hawes small Tucano many many years ago, and a PushyCat (the swoopy twin boom one). Still got both in my stash of 'benched' models.

Both great simple to build models 😎, you will like Shifty

I will get a materials list together in the next few weeks and post it on this thread, I am unsure of when the article will be printed though.

I will also start collecting empty 2 litre bottles in case anyone wants me to make them an optional canopy, I wouldn't want anything for them just the cost to cover  P+P (doing our bit for the environment and all that).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fab day Rich  and the model is fantastic . I think many will enjoy building and flying this . . The twin flying was not easy and I think the synco pair have nothing to worry about .. key is flying the right model apparently !! Lol

Edited by Steve Jones 2

6 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Latest issue of the mag just dropped through the letterbox.... Shifty is in the next issue! Yaaay.....

Excellent,  I didn't know.

2 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

Just got the mag....and the plan is in the next edition....add me to the list for a canopy Rich....let me know how much etc please..

Ken Anderson ....ne...1 Shifty dept.

No problem Ken, your top of the list mate regarding the canopy. We need to persuade the Wease to have a crack!

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 1

I've gone through the Shifty footage from last Saturday and made a short video of the pair flying. Despite them throttling back I found it quite hard to track them against the strange low light sky.

No launch footage as that was the camera man's job.

Great fun though....

Edited by Richard Harris
  • Like 2

I sent the Shifty plan to Rich E as he showed interest in it after flying mine the other week.

He's sent me a couple of photos today of his cracking example, not bad for 8 days work.

Hoping to get the 3 pre publication models together when the balmy spring weather arrives 🙏 

received_768256831424000.thumb.jpeg.d26c9e2d0383413309ef71a3dd73b2e0.jpeg

received_784420546879790.thumb.jpeg.17ad950c5e6d68a83c793e406e96b799.jpeg

received_1548446336010385.thumb.jpeg.f765de4640dd6134626b028e20e84542.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, David Holland 2 said:

Hi, Richard,

Will the delta version be included on the plan. That really appeals to me.

David

Hi David,

Yes, it's a common fuselage with optional wing plans shown for both on the plan. Each are covered in the article.

On another note I've been looking at drone motors, some are 6s capable! You can also purchase small 6s packs that would fit in the fuselage.

From the thrust figures and the weight of Shifty you would be able to accelerate vertically! My maths maybe incorrect though.

Not sure the airframe could take that sort of stress without significant strengthening.

But it would be fun......