Toasted!

i12fly

21 hours ago, Phil Green said:

The RCD trip will almost certainly be debris in the bottom of the toaster, a piece of carbonised crust or something between the element and the case. After a gentle clean-out it should be fine 😉   This isnt at all unusual, toasters are very prone as bread is damp and bendy and burnt toast conducts too!  😄

It's true!

I lifted my non-working toaster from the worktop this morning to find lots of breadcrumbs underneath it. I then gently cleaned it by turning it upside down, bashing it onto the worktop and shaking it like I hated it. More breadcrumbs fell out and when I reconnected it to the mains, to my delight, it worked!

I bought mine from Morrison's at least seven years ago. I used to work there at the time.

Advert

Heinz beans on toast. Yummy.

Our toaster, Morphy Richards, has 2 little crumb catcher draws. Pull them out now and again to empty them.

My wife chose it because it colour matches the other kitchen items. (kettle and microwave).

Electric trips sometimes due to a wayward current. no pun intended,  from a toasted tea-cake.

21 hours ago, Peter Wedlake said:

I find most toaster are rubbish, very poor design and just don't function properly Why can't they make toaster like this one on Technology Connections 

Very interesting mechanical and electrical principles used in this Toaster. Clever ideas to provide "low-tech" automation. However, I would have thought mechanical wear and tear plus deterioration of the ni-chrome wire would lead to reliability issues and be very difficult to repair. Anyone had one of these?

Talking of antique toasters, when I was at school I made a very primitive toaster by folding a sheet of aluminium into rectangular trough about and inch deep and fixing an electrical element from a clothes iron across the open top. I connected the electrical element directly to the mains  by twisting wires together and wrapping in insulating tape. This contraption toasted bread very fast, one side at a time, but it absolutely would not have met any health and safety regulations anywhere, in any age! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, John Stainforth said:

Talking of antique toasters, when I was at school I made a very primitive toaster by folding a sheet of aluminium into rectangular trough about and inch deep and fixing an electrical element from a clothes iron across the open top. I connected the electrical element directly to the mains  by twisting wires together and wrapping in insulating tape. This contraption toasted bread very fast, one side at a time, but it absolutely would not have met any health and safety regulations anywhere, in any age! 

Not as dodgy as the contraption that members of the instrument dept at RR used to boil water for tea.  Two carbon rods (from batteries IIRC) mounted on a piece of Perspex 30mm apart, dipped in a mug and connected to the mains.  Boiled the water efficiently and effectively 🙂   No idea how much current it drew but it didn't take long.  I just used an old electric kettle from home at my desk to save a trip down 2 floors to the boiler.

On 17/01/2023 at 22:23, i12fly said:

Can anybody advise on a decent make and model of a toaster that will actually:

1.  Toast a full size slice of bread e.g.Warbarton's Toastie loaf

2.  Not leave a band of untoasted bread at the top of the slice

3.  Fairly evenly toasted both sides

4.  Doesn't cost the earth

We bought a long slot width toaster through Amazon last October thinking that sideways on it would toast a full slice -big mistake, the top quarter does not toast, even mildly. Anyway this morning it started tripping the RCD/RCCB. Tried sending it back only to find that the manufacturer has gone out of business (Grrrr... 🙄 )

Items 1 & 2 are the priority, we've got 2 other toasters that fail on both....

It skips the RCD if there is a quantity of toast crumbs trapped in the bottom of the toaster, causes a short circuit. Try picking it up, turning upside down and give it a good shake.   This works for ours.

Bas

3 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Not as dodgy as the contraption that members of the instrument dept at RR used to boil water for tea.  Two carbon rods 

More or less a carbon arc torch, very bright light when operated in air. I have one that connects to my welder. Would only take a mo to heat a cuppa I recon.:classic_ohmy:

6 hours ago, Basil said:

It skips the RCD if there is a quantity of toast crumbs trapped in the bottom of the toaster, causes a short circuit. Try picking it up, turning upside down and give it a good shake.   This works for ours.

Bas

Shhh!  I managed to persuade the missus to buy a new proper toaster that toasts a full size slice of bread on the strength of the old one was 'broken beyond repair'  🤫