Phoenix Sim

TerryC123

Hi Gents

Want to get some 'Stick' time on an RC Sim. Years and Years ago I had Phoenix rc sim, the real one, with a disc!! but now understand the company is no more!!

Went on RC Thoughts but I havent got a clue about downloads!! What would I have to do?? I have a Flysky Tx. I know about the dongle, but dont know where to get one or where it goes or what it does? and I think I have to buy a lead, from TX to computer?

AS you can tell, I havent got a clue about computers.......except I have one!!!

Appreciate your help / Advice

Terry 

If you still have the disc, you can install from that disc. The program won't be able to update itself, but so what. To get the sim working, you don't need to download all the updates.

The dongle is available on ebay, search for "22 in 1 simulator flysky". Cost around £10, comes from China of course, probably takes "some time" to arrive by post.

If you want a current supported sim, Realflight would be the comparable offering.

• Like 1

You can install from ghe disk you have, and then update to V6 from the software on rc- thoughts.  All the software is there, plus instructiobs - it's very straightforward.

The dongke plugs into a usb port on your pc and is a security check - no dongle=sim won't run.

You then run a cable from your tx to the dongle - this needs to plug into thd din-the socket on the tx.  When buying the dongle, make sure you get one with a plug that fits your tx.

You could also search for Phoenix on rcgroups - there is a relatively active group, with hundreds of additional mdels and sites to download - and good instructions!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

You can install from ghe disk you have, and then update to V6 from the software on rc- thoughts.  All the software is there, plus instructiobs - it's very straightforward.

The dongke plugs into a usb port on your pc and is a security check - no dongle=sim won't run.

You then run a cable from your tx to the dongle - this needs to plug into thd din-the socket on the tx.  When buying the dongle, make sure you get one with a plug that fits your tx.

You could also search for Phoenix on rcgroups - there is a relatively active group, with hundreds of additional mdels and sites to download - and good instructions!

might have mislead you all. I used to have the phoenix disc, years ago but dont have it now?? Would have to download it but havent a clue!! 

Fimd 'base' software on rc-thoughts

Download

Extract using any free zip/unzip programme

Run setup.exe from the folder you ectracted the software to.

You will now have an old version of Phoenix that shouldd run (you can't use it yet - you need that dongle).

1. Locate the 'next' version on rc-thoughts

2. Download

3. Extract

4. Start Phoenix

5. Select 'Update'

6. Select the pkg file you just extracted.

Repeat 1. to 6. for the remaining versions.  You'll end up with v6.

While waiting for your dongle, you can download sites and models and install them. The instructions above can be followed for eacb model but it's tedious... the instructions on rcgroups is quicker!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nigel R said:

If you still have the disc, you can install from that disc. The program won't be able to update itself, but so what. To get the sim working, you don't need to download all the updates.

The dongle is available on ebay, search for "22 in 1 simulator flysky". Cost around £10, comes from China of course, probably takes "some time" to arrive by post.

If you want a current supported sim, Realflight would be the comparable offering.

I ordered a 22 in 1 once, the thing that arrived didn't have the PhoenixRC switch and so was almost totally useless....I got a refund, binned the dongle and decided it wasn't worth trying again.....

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

I ordered a 22 in 1 once, the thing that arrived didn't have the PhoenixRC switch and so was almost totally useless....I got a refund, binned the dongle and decided it wasn't worth trying again.....

Well,  think I will give it a go...........then bin the lot!!!😃

Terry, the dongle you need is like this one Universal USB Flight Simulator Adapter Cable for Phoenix, AeroFly, FMS UK STOCK | eBay

It includes the mini 'DIN' connector needed by some FlySky transmitters, a connector for Futaba transmitters and a double ended jack plug cable for many other transmitters, but importantly it includes the dongle which is switched to select the protocols used by different RC sims, including Phoenix. Dongles which don't have this may will, probably, not be compatible with Phoenix.

I have recently helped another forumite to download, install, update and run Phoenix, so if you decide to get a suitable dongle I would be happy to post the instructions.

Incidentally, what operating system does your computer run?  This might have a bearing on how it's done.

GDB

I suspect the virus more than likely came from the CDs which come with the package, rather than from the dongle.

I advised the other forumite to totally disregard them - best to be prudent. In this case the Phoenix prog is coming from RC-Thoughts which is reliable.

GDB

• 6 months later...
On 09/02/2023 at 06:45, GrumpyGnome said:

Fimd 'base' software on rc-thoughts

Download

Extract using any free zip/unzip programme

Run setup.exe from the folder you ectracted the software to.

You will now have an old version of Phoenix that shouldd run (you can't use it yet - you need that dongle).

1. Locate the 'next' version on rc-thoughts

2. Download

3. Extract

4. Start Phoenix

5. Select 'Update'

6. Select the pkg file you just extracted.

Repeat 1. to 6. for the remaining versions.  You'll end up with v6.

While waiting for your dongle, you can download sites and models and install them. The instructions above can be followed for eacb model but it's tedious... the instructions on rcgroups is quicker!

Edited by Richard Gordon-Davis 3